Question about VFD max speed

I recently purchased a shapeoko 5 and added the VFD spindle. In my tool settings, I have several tools that are set to run at 18000rpm, but after the job starts, the spindle never shows more the 16350 on the display. Is this the limit of the VFD or am I doing it wrong?

There’s a ~10% range for this (and I believe some communication/control programs can adjust it).

Please try the new beta:

https://carbide3d.com/carbidemotion/beta

and make sure that you have configured for a VFD spindle — if you continue to have this oddity, let us know at support@carbide3d.com and we’ll loop in someone who is experienced w/ VFDs to sort this out w/ you.

Thanks, I am already running the beta, so it must be something else.

You’re not doing anything wrong, this is just the way the VFD integration works. All the speeds displayed on the VFD Controller’s front panel are off from what is commanded by your toolpaths. I’ve never had any issues with running at 16350 for the tools I’m setting to 18000 but there are a number of discussions about this on this forum if you search around for them.

My machine is down now and I’ll be on my fourth VFD Controller once C3D support addresses the latest issue. If you have time, you may want to open your controller (the side with the six pin connector on it) and verify which version of the PCB you have inside the controller. The version number is silk screened on the board and you can see it by popping off the side of the box. If you have v1.1, there’s a known issue that will likely cause a failure with your controller in the future. I’d ask C3D for a new board (or whole new controller if you’re not comfortable swapping out the board) to avoid your machine being down at an inopportune time.

Top programable speed is 24K, so if you need to inflate the number higher, you should have room to modify the program (in tool definition in carbide create)

Thank you very much for the information. This is all good stuff.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.