Question for a French person, delivery cost, VAT and other costs..

Hello everyone
I am French and I am about to buy the Shapeoko pro 5 to complete my carpentry equipment.
How did you purchase the machine in Europe?
Because partner sites do not sell this model…
So I’m looking into ordering it directly in the USA via Carbide 3D.

After seeing the delivery costs of $500-700, what other tax is there and for what amount?

VAT? additional delivery costs or other…

Thank you for your feedback and see you soon in the community and the creation of the object.

Jerome

1 Like

I believe we have resellers in Europe.

Check in w/ sales@carbide3d.com for the current list.

Hi Jérôme
I bought a Shapeoko 4 XL in October 2021 via the https://eu.robotshop.com/fr website which is based in Quebec with an antenna in Europe from the Netherlands.

The milling machine was a little more expensive than on Carbide3D’s direct site, but shipping was free and there were no customs fees. Details on https://eu.robotshop.com/policies/shipping-policy

Unfortunately I was in the middle of a stock shortage, and had to wait 4 months for delivery. But I don’t think that’s a problem anymore.

Don’t forget to include a BitSetter and other clamps and accessories right away.
For the milling machine, I use a Makita RT0700C.

Otherwise, beware of customs charges. Some month later, I bought milling cutters directly from Carbide3D:
6 milling cutters at $70 + postage $37.82, i.e. $107.82
Import taxes (via Fedex) 29.92 € (22€ tax + 6.60€ handling fee + 1.32€ VAT on handling fee (not a joke)).

1 Like

Standard delivery is free for orders of €250 including taxes or more in France, United Kingdom, Germany, Belgium, Netherlands, and Spain (free shipping is not available for select distant regions).

1 Like

Thank you first of all for your quick responses.

After reflection and some concerns about imports and taxes, I prefer to buy in Europe.

Agreement almost reached with Fablab factory in Belgium.

The delivery time remains to be seen

And so I will order the Shapeoko 5 pro…

Then in a while I’m thinking of taking the VPD pin directly from Carbride, but still some research to make it work at 220V… If anyone has ideas or a suitable transformer…??

Thanks again

Jerome

The current VFD is 110V — you’d need a step-up transformer such as I am using for my Mafell spindle:

(but I’d suggest avoiding a transformer if at all possible, it’s heavy and expensive)

Carbide 3D has an 80mm spindle in development — no idea on availability, or its power requirements, but it would be a nice upgrade, and it might be that it would be friendlier to 220V locales.

A Makita RT0700 would be a drop-in replacement while you’re waiting though.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.