Mafell Spindle with manual tool change FM 1000 WS or PV-WS

The AMB (Kress) 1050 FM-UI DI costs ~$600, comes with a precision ER16 collet (ER20 optional!), and has a digital interface. The data sheet shows that a 110V version is available, but AMB’s website (Google will translate it to English) doesn’t list it - but they do show a 230V version with ATC!

1 Like

ATC: https://mctinfo.net/amb-spindle/1050-fme-w-di

I almost went down one of these routes, but the cons of still being air cooled, brushed, run out that is comparable to my Makita, 24/5K Max RPM, and the ER collet adapter reducing the RPM even more. Felt I was compromising too much just for Q/ATC from AMB/Maffell.

I also debated the USOVO Tool Changer Adapter (65mm) (https://www.cnccat.com/index.php?id=2&productid=1964&catid=89&subcatid=&lang=en), was on eBay to get USA shipping, but can’t find it anymore. However a used one showed up: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pnuematic-CNC-Tool-Changer-for-65mm-Spindle-w-4-tool-holders-and-5-collets/274289582982?hash=item3fdceee386:g:yQwAAOSwMwNeBlo~ (looks like a nice deal).

There is also an adapter for 80mm from Mechatron but the price increases to ~$950.

The main con I have with these is they use SK10/15/20 tool holders, which can be hard to source in the states, for a reasonable price. (Edit) Also most only go up to ER11, SK20 is ER16.

1 Like

Not to mention that it costs $1322, even without the pneumatic system! Then there’s the added complexity and considerable additional expense of the tool holders and additional runout they cause. Seems like the $600 quick change 1050 FM-UI DI is a better choice, especially if a precision ER20 collet option is available!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Apparently this will work with a step-up/down transformer.

The specific unit suggested was

so I’m hoping that that would work plugged into my BitRunner, and that the various size collets (1/8", 3mm, 4mm, and 6mm are available in addition to the afore-mentioned ER-16 adapter and an OZ collet chuck adapter) will work out.

One thing which is confusing/concerning:

https://produkte.mafell.de/en/accessories/adapter-sleeve-ground-6-mm-1/4-in.

is apparently good for both 6mm and 1/4"? Hoping that doesn’t have implications for runout.

Of course, if someone could work up a cable which would connect the:

version to the BitRunner adapter, I’d have to try that.

1 Like

Has anyone considered Mafell FM 1000 WS?

This machine is very silent and easy to use.

1 Like

Looks a lot like a Kress (which I’ve always been surprised by being characterized as noisy).

There was a general purpose dust shoe shown at: Dust Shoe for Kress, Mafell, and other (?) Spindles / Milling Motors by nbernard - Thingiverse

and they’re sold in the U.S. at: Mafell FM 1000 Milling Motor 9M0023 - Timberwolf Tools w/ a 6mm collet, and 1/8" collets as options and they are well-regarded in industry: Festool and mafell

with this quote being enticing:

Mafell is better engineered. They pay more attention to details and machining touching surfaces to eliminate any tolerances and play. They also seem to be more robust and resistant to wear and tear in my experience.

I haven’t been able to justify a Kress spindle, but this may make the cut for my next indulgence, esp. since the speed range (4,000–25,000) seems more useful in the sort of work I do.

I wonder the what the big benefit is over a VFD spindle other than this one being air cooled. Other than that, it seems the VFD spindle gives more power for a similar price.

1 Like

Simplicity — plug in and go, also it’s the only 1,000 Watt unit which operates on 110V I can recall having seen.

2 Likes

Got it. I bet it’s still pretty loud with it being air cooled so that’s a detractor.

Great low RPM range and also like the spindle extension beyond the mount.

Tempting.

1 Like

Just get a proper spindle motor!

Off amazon or direct from China. You can go cheap, or spend more for superb quality.

Gives you access to ER collets that come in every possible size you could want.

Water cooled ones are quiet - I don’t wear hearing protection milling aluminium (wood though can be noisy). My water pump that cools the spindle actually makes more noise then the spindle motor. And my shop vac is now by far the loudest thing I operate.

Also you get speed control, auto on/off. A little plus is that my unit is grounded, so I don’t need to use the aligator clip onto the bit - I just put the probe puck underneath and it senses it.

Once you step away from a brushed motor, you can’t believe how primitive things were beforehand!

1 Like

Making a mounting plate for mine:

Almost got it centered, and aside from that and the two “test” holes the cut went fine — hopefully it fits as well as the acrylic test cut did.

Here’s the file — should fit to an HDZ and the Mafell FM 1000 WS:

hdzplate_adjusted_274.c2d (154.6 KB)

Here’s a slightly adjusted version based on a test fit of the file above:

hdzplate_adjusted_274_v2.c2d (123.1 KB)

4 Likes

I’ve been hoping you’d post about your Mafell soon! How does the quick change feel?

1 Like
  • Is the unit you bought 110v or 220v?
  • Will you be able to control the speed using the software, or is still a dial based control setting?

It is a simply amazing mechanism. It feels a bit like the Sig Sauer I had occasion to try at a gun range once — like something made by magical Bavarian Elves.

It’s a 220V unit which I’ll be using with a transformer:

and grounding plug/converter:

and a wonderfully generous and talented individual here has offered to make an 8mm–6.35mm reducing bushing so I won’t have to use the off-balance Amana RB-106 I purchased.

Next up I think is seeing if I can get a better finish than just scrubbing randomly with a Scotch Bright pad. Perhaps a bit of Guilloché?

Thought I’d posted a box opening image:

The thing I’m especially curious about is if there’s a standard binder which the loop staple binding of the manual would fit into:

It doesn’t seem to match any of the binders I have at home — looks like it’d take something which had two posts ~80mm apart — I’m planning on getting two more Mafell tools, so it’d be nice to have a binder to hold all the manuals.

8 Likes

Looks like it’s A5 https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B0747N17ZC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_AVYHK89D62H1TG4RQS7A?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

1 Like

Yeah, I’d just figured that out.

Ordered:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07QQNRXD7

My apologies, missed answering this before — I’ll have to use the dial — there’s a version which has a speed control portal/cable, but even though I aced the EDPT after taking the ASVAB, I didn’t do electronics when I was in the Air Force beyond Radio Fun., and electronics beyond basic wiring and soldering and plugging in connections are a mystery to me.

4 Likes