Question regarding Bit Setter?

Correct me if I am wrong…
It is my understanding that after using the Bit Setter you still need to zero your bit to the material. Yes / No?
If this is so, what is the purpose of the Bit Setter? Is it really needed?

I am thinking if using the Bit Setter to get the length of the bit and the g-code knows the thickness of the material you wouldn’t need to zero the bit. Am I making sense here?

Confused

I’ll try and answer your question, but I’m not that clever at this, yet…

The BitZero is used to zero the X, Y and Z axes on the stock.

The BitSetter is mostly for when there is a cutter change during the project. For the BitSetter to work, it runs a sub-routine to check the cutter’s length when you first initialise the machine and then when you run the project. After that, when there is a prompt for the cutter to be changed, it rechecks the length of the bit.

Whether or not you need either of them is up to you. I got the BitSetter because you can run multiple toolpaths from one file, rather than a separate toolpath for each cutter.

2 Likes

@NewToThis is correct.

The BitSetter determines the tool length offset needed so as to maintain the zero after a tool change.

It is helpful for folks who use multiple tools in a file.

The BitZero allows setting origin relative to a given corner/edge/surface — but with the V2 wanting the use of a probing pin, there’s a definite synergy to having both.

Thank you for your reply.

1 Like

So if I am thinking correctly here, the Bit Setter’s main advantage is if you have multiple tool changes… You set the XYZ Zero on the first tool and Bit Setter tracks tool length and you shouldn’t have to re-Zero the job until you have a new project on the machine.

2 Likes

Correct, that’s exactly how it works.

Why didn’t you say so??? :grin: :laughing: :rofl:
Just kidding. Thanks

1 Like

To be totally pedantic, it doesn’t actually track the tool length. It just tracks the difference in the tool length. And actually, just the difference in the logical position of the spindle, at that.

Nothing in the system knows where anything is or how long anything is.

Imagine a blind person in a room of unknown size holding a stick of unknown length. They can walk around holding the stick and stop when they feel it hit a wall, but they can’t tell how close they are to a wall.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.