Quick survey: donate a shapeoko?

This:

got me thinking… given what @neilferreri has brought to this community (and elsewhere), wouldn’t it be nice if we could gather enough money to buy a Shapeoko for his students ? (or maybe… gather enough leftover parts from people’s upgrades to build one ?)

This may be a silly idea, I have not asked him about this, and I don’t know if this would break any rule of this forum, so admins are welcome to delete this thread if it is not appropriate.

Anyway, just so I know, quick show of hands (in this thread or through a private message), who would be game for this?

3 Likes

Count me in! I don’t have many spare parts or dollars, but it’s a great cause so I will find some.

2 Likes

The parts thing is an interesting point — I’ve lobbied in the past for a program where folks could donate leftover parts from a machine upgrade to a school/non-profit and Carbide 3D would provide the balance of parts at cost (or as a donation), but it’s uncertain that it would be worthwhile.

Certainly when I asked for a set of parts to make a second machine from mine after an SO3 upgrade, I was instead sent a new machine, since it was expedient to do that instead of trying to scrounge a box, an assortment of parts, and keep track of what was needed or no.

Perhaps @Luke has some ideas on this?

Perhaps instead folks could donate the machine which they are planning on upgrading, then buy a new machine instead of an upgrade? Does anyone know how the taxes on that would work out?

1 Like

Wow! Was building a fort, playing some Gator Golf, and then doing the naptime routine. I just checked my phone and see this!
Thank you @Julien! What an awesome community! Even if nothing comes from this, I truly appreciate it. Sometimes, as a public school teacher, I’m forced to personally spend more than I should and/or beg to make things happen. It’s really great to see this come from a group that I’ve already gained so much being a part of! Thanks to everyone!
I’ve actually cobbled together most of a SO3 for the school using leftover parts I’ve purchased or was generously given. I actually had a student whose uncle owned a company that laser cut metal parts for the aviation industry. That’s where we got the custom Y-plates. I just need to put together a controller (Carbide board won’t work with the motors I got), but I have most parts for that as well. Really, the only thing we’d “need” would be an HDZ (might as well start there, right?).
I have my old Z on the thing now (hard to go back), and it will be serviceable.
Obviously, an XXL would be awesome for the school if C3D ever got into donating to schools, but I don’t know that I’d be comfortable asking individuals for donations.
That said, we’ll take ANY leftover machine parts or electronics. I teach CAD, Robotics, and Electronics to middle school students and, in the electronics class especially, I pretty much let them make what they want. Resources are the only limiting factor there.
Basically, I have no shame in gently asking C3D for a machine (or HDZ), but I don’t know that we’d need to ask for a collection of parts.
And just like that, I missed out on cutting some keyhole slots during naptime because one of my kids is up and ready for me to play.
Thanks again!

2 Likes

Ok, first thing accomplished - the desire.
Next thing is the specification that tells what is needed.
Then budgeting that out to see what needs to be raised to meet the need.
All that should keep the target from moving around, and make fundraising more successful.

3 Likes

Were you trying to make a couple SO3s? I have spare OEM Z-axis, and soon to be leftover Y-axis plate parts.

2 Likes

Hey Neil, you want this? Luke’s original design. It’s a little rough around the edges and the rail bearings could use a good clean/lube. You’ll need to source a ball screw. I thought I had given it away already to a friend of a friend but it didn’t happen.

4 Likes

@Griff That would be great! Did you source the custom ballscrew from Luke’s original as well?

@DanStory Thanks so much! I sent you a PM.

You guys rock!

Neil, it (the ballscrew) was a non standard length. I have a drawing around here somewhere that needs to be included if/when an order to AliExpress is placed. I’ll see what I can find and let you know.

Meanwhile let’s all think hard at C3D to put together a contest or something that will score your kids a real HDZ.

2 Likes

Pm me the shipping cost when it comes to that point and I will cover that.

3 Likes

Very kind of you, thanks! We’ll see what happens.

1 Like

Look at you guys being generous while I’m sleeping, thanks!
While we are figuring out which parts can be donated/would still be missing to complete the machine, I was thinking about @WillAdams’ comment about how it may be easier to “just” get a new machine instead of getting a few difficult to source parts, and @CrookedWoodTex’s comment that there should be a well defined goal. My feeling is that we can make that HDZ happen, with a stretch goal being a full machine. BUT, as you can tell I am a total amateur in this sort of things, so I don’t know what would be the correct way to organize this, in a way that would guarantee 100% that the only possible outcome is a new machine coming to existence in @neilferreri’s classroom. Someone mentioned creating a GoFundMe campaign, would that be appropriate from your experience? @WillAdams do you know if Carbide 3D can do “gift cards” on their online store, that would be a great way for people to contribute to that HDZ: they could then just send their discount code to Neil, no middle man, and no other possible use. I happen to have some unspent credit on the store so I will contribute that.

1 Like

I’m afraid our storefront is the basic one and has no option for gift cards or transferrable store credit.

When I first conceived of my (now delayed) Design into 3D Kickstarter, one of the things I envisioned was a tracking system where folks could donate towards a school or non-profit getting a machine, but it was too complex and got dropped.

I’ve got a 2.4d Carbide Motion board if that helps? I was going to offer my stock Z-axis but definitely go the HDZ!

I’d also be happy to donate cash, @neilferreri is always willing to help people, myself included.

7 Likes

please close this thread as we are pursuing other options.

Anyone interested in the project please pm myself or @Julien.

1 Like