Quick Trick for Facing Stock?

Anyone have a quick method to “program” in a routine to surface stock? For instance, I have 6"x6"x0.5" sheets of Delrin that are “almost” flat. I’d like to shave off the top 0.050" or so, then flip and mount the stock so I can reference my cuts from this new bottom side. Can I do something simple like:

• design a block that’s 10"x10"x0.45" in Fusion 360
  • import this “oversided block” into Carbide Motion (realizing it’s larger than the 8"x8" footprint)
  • zero my Z to the top of the wasteboard
  • have the Nomad3 try to cut the block, realizing it will run long on the sides, but face the whole surface to 0.45" thick.

Will something like this work? Sure would be nice to have a quick option in Carbide Motion to surface stock with a 1/4" end mill to a selected thickness, without the need for programming.

Thanks!

Why not just run a facing op in Fusion? No need for the model, just generate from a rectangle. You could use parameters to make it adjustable.

If I’m already at the machine when I decide to surface work, I use this.

2 Likes

I like this intuwiz option - I didn’t know of that site / program before.

So I suppose I could generate G code to surface the whole 8x8" sled at a height of 0.000" and then just save that for all setups. Then when I want to face some stock, set my Z carriage to the height I want the facing to occur, rezero, and run the G code. Sound right?

If so, that gives a ton of flexibility with a single file. It would work for any stock, as long as I zero Z just before running.

That site and a number of others are listed at:

https://wiki.shapeoko.com/index.php/Interactive_G-Code_Generators

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.