Quickest way to cut custom pockets

So I’m trying to make a “stained glass” type effect with epoxy instead of glass. I cut all my outline first and filled with black epoxy to give the lead seam affect. Now I’m wondering how I can split my drawing up into the segments created by the black lines. Seems like there should be an easy way of doing this but I haven’t figured it out yet. See attached pic for what I have so far and the sections that now need to be created and pocketed out. image

Thanks for the assistance, greatly appreciate it.

Can you share your design file for this piece so that we have a look at the vectors you are using ?

Can do when I get home. Basically the Vt and beer pint are outline drawings I imported and then I added the lines making the segments. It’d be great if there was a way I could outline a segment and adjust the size a little and cut it out, but guessing it’s not that easy. Thanks

Oh yeah forgot to mention I’m using CC.

It may require a little vector editing beyond the scope of what CC can do, but nothing that a few minutes in Inkscape can’t fix I guess.

If I understand correctly, you want to clear out the bamboo within the black lines. The difficulty I see is that you will likely need to use a very small diameter endmill to get inside those sharp inside corners and in the space between the glass and the beer.

Do you have small endmills that will have a long enough length of cut? How deep did you intend your pockets to be ? If you’re going for the stained glass look I guess you want to pocket through to the bottom?

Pocketing with a small endmill will take forever too, and CC unfortunately does not support rest machining yet, so chances are you’ll need to either be patient or be ready to artificially add geometry to create a first set of pocketing toolpaths for a large endmill, and then a second second set of pocketing toolpaths with the small endmill to clear out the rest.

Anyway that sounds like a cool technique,I’m looking forward to seeing the end result!

3 Likes

Perhaps deliberately mill the epoxy slot a few mm wide so that there is extra material to cover the inner radii?

A fast clearing op with a 1/4" followed by a 1/8" to get the corners a little sharper would also help out.

The outside of the Epoxy is also rounded by the bit so it might look more coherent if the inside edges of the epoxy had a similar rounding?

2 Likes

you can do a trick where you clear the main area with a large endmill, and then do a series of contours with smaller (no more than half previous) to step down… you get more or less rest machining behavior that way

2 Likes

I do have a few 2 mm endmills however the wood that your speaking of in the glass is going to stay. I’m just to clear out the other larger pockets. I think I can get them cleared out with a 1/8" mill. Basically I’m curious if I can edit the lines in the state outline to create the segment sections.
Attached is my file. vt stained glass.c2d (74.0 KB)
Thanks for the help it’s very appreciated.

Is any wood intended to be left after this outline cutting? If not, could you somehow pop the resin frames out of the wooden ‘mould’ rather than cut the wood away?

1 Like

Never thought of that but boy that would be a lot faster. May have to give it a try. Guessing since I didn’t apply a releasing agent of any sort this time around it may not be feasible.

If you want to do that it might be worth using one of the tapered ballnose carving bits to leave a slight angle on the walls to give your wood mold a ‘draw angle’

1 Like

My hunch is that @WillAdams will be able to vector this out in about 2 minutes. He’s probably already prepared a tutorial showing how to do it very efficiently as well!

The problem here is that this is a mix of open and closed geometry:

You need to do a couple of things to process this:

• draw in closed geometry which allows section up what you wish to keep:

Then you need to duplicate everything several times over and drag the duplicates back into position.

Once you have duplicates you need to perform the appropriate Boolean operations:

Intersection for the outer sections:

resulting in pieces such as:

Then Boolean Subtraction to remove a duplicate of the inner section which has been inset by the desired radius:

Repeat for each, then inset the new geometry by the desired radius.

1 Like

Wow clear as mud. Haha. Just kidding I think I follow you. Thanks very much I’ll give it a try.

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.