Quieter spindle? Crashes GRBL

Good to know though, thanks

Hi Julien, I’m at the shop now and I checked continuity between the earth and the chases of the spindle and there is continuity.

And I suppose the VFD itself is using a three-prong plug, and plugged in an outlet that does have a good earth connected ?

That’s puzzling. Other tips that may or may not be relevant in this situation :

• try different wall sockets if possible, for the machine and for the VFD/spindle?

• earthing the machine frame ?

• using a high-quality shielded USB cable, and/or a USB isolator or powered USB hub, or just using a different USB port on the PC running the G-code sender?

• using a voltage regulator/surge protector between mains and the machine?

It’s connected, any other suggestions??

Is there anything else running at the time this is all happening (like a shop vac)? I ask because I have the same issue that I have been putting off isolating due to laziness - manually-controlled speed on the VFD, hit run, CM drops back to “Connect to Cutter”. But… this only happens when my little air-blast aquarium pump is running. It is quite consistent if I start the pump and then try to start the spindle.

If I start the spindle, say a little prayer to Metallicor and then start the pump, it seems to work so I’m guessing some sort of “combination of noises” thing. But that could be nonsense, and it may have to do with the shameful rat’s nest of wiring I have all over the place. Or some other thing. Some day, I will work up the enthusiasm to find out.

Anyway, does this problem still happen when you only have the VFD and the controller plugged in and on? As in, try to get rid of every other thing using power nearby (to the extent that is possible) and see what happens.

Rick,

I have had my shop vac stop the machine in the past, so I’m quite careful of that. I still manually control the speed out of laziness too, plus I didn’t know it could be controlled until 2 days ago,.
I love the prayer ting, lol
I think the problem is that it’s a cheapo spindle and leaking stray volts or something. I’m going to run a bunch of tests, I’ll keep you posted.

Thanks for the help!

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.