Raster feature for leveling stock

I’m hoping in the near future a “Raster” feature will be added to CC. I find the pocket feature of starting the level in the center of a rectangle cuts across the wood grain. A raster feature would allow the cut to start from the bottom of the stock and work left and right to the top of the stock material.

1 Like

Other programs have it, hopefully they’ll add it eventually. I use raster for spoilboard surfacing and slab surfacings (Vcarve).

1 Like

This has been discussed and although not a toolpath people simply draw up an S shape going up the material and then do a no offset contour and the router follows the snake up the board going back and forth. It is I guess the poor man’s raster.

I did not spend a lot of time but you would space the lines apart for the surfacing bit to overlap similar to step over.

2 Likes

If you have Carbide Create Pro, the Engrave toolpath can be used for this:

Or, as noted, such toolpaths are quickly drawn up using the polyline tool:

and if covering large areas, replicated using the Linear Array feature:

OK

Joined together using “Join Vectors”

Yes

and then adjusted at need using Node Edit:

“D” (for delete)

Assing a Contour toolpath w/ No Offset:

Thank you everyone for the response. I think everyone would agree that an option of selecting a “Raster” would be much better than taking the time to build a Raster Maze. After all, Carbide Create is a great program and an addition like this would only make it better.

2 Likes

Yeah, I JUST fried my router trying to plane a project. It went back to the starting position for the second pass, plunged in and it bound up. It went up in smoke before I could do anything. Frustrating. Will try the other method… once I order a new router.

OUCH! Sorry to hear that. Because of issues like that, I usually reduce my first plunge down around 30% or less until I feel confident Carbide Motion is acting like intended.

I’m still learning. I had used the bit on the spoil board previously and I didn’t think to change the depth, so I’m pretty sure that’s what did it. Expensive lesson.

If it was a Carbide 3D router and you were w/in your initial warranty period, let us know and we’ll work that out.

I always check using the Rapid Position command for Z+6mm (jogging off to the side of the stock if need be).

1 Like

I’ve had my Shapeoko XXL for 15 months or so I think, so outside the warranty. Plus, I’m sure it was user error, so I’ve ordered another router from you guys. Thanks!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.