Really bad cut, wrong bit? What happened?!

It’s a very good quality Baltic Birch plywood, fairly thick top veneer too.
It cuts cleanly on my SawStop table saw.

1 Like

OK,

That’s the ply ruled out then, that makes things easier.

With the HDZ and an 80mm spindle I contour cut baltic birch with these settings (from Fusion);
Roughing cut with a regular upcut (the Carbide 201 or Yonico 31215-SC 1/4 inch)
20kRPM
1500 mm / min feed rate
0.0254 mm per tooth
5mm depth of cut
1mm stock to leave
You could also try something like the Yonico 35314-SC low helix upcut if the top is still tearing badly

Finish cut;
Yonico 33310-SC compression cutter 1/4"
20kRPM
1500 mm / min feed rate
0.0254 mm per tooth
3 stepovers of 0.35mm each
Full depth
Repeat finishing pass

Those cuts are relatively conservative because I was cutting a fairly weak shape out of the stock and didn’t want the stock flexing during cutting. The cutters are mostly Yonico just because that’s what I got from Amazon, they’re not special but they’re fairly decent quality for a decent price. They are bulk Chinese cutters imported and marketed as a western ‘brand’.

Given the tear out you’re seeing my first suspicion would fall upon the machine setup, it takes a while to get the hang of the right V wheel tensions in the machine and get everything tight.

What Z axis are you running?

Z axis? I have the Z+.

How tight are your belts?

Great, the Z+ is pretty good, way better than the old belt Z which had to run much slower.

Check all the V-Wheels, I run mine tight enough that I can just turn the lower wheels with two fingers whilst the machine is stationary. It’s very easy to end up with a loose V wheel or two without realising.

On the belts, funny you should ask :wink:

I run my belts at about 70-90 Newtons, too much is bad for the stepper motor shafts and bearings. It’s very easy to check with the phone app method.

I bought the Amana 46176 a few weeks ago. I do not care for it. With Baltic birch (9 ply 1/2" 5x5 cabinet stock…good quality)I have better luck with a down cut 2 flute as long as my piece is clamped securely to a clean mdf spoil board. I was told the Amana bits have to be sharpened much less but I haven’t had to have any bits sharpened yet. I am for work a “traditional” woodworker and am very new to CNC. Just my observation I cut Baltic birch very frequently.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.