Really Long Jobs

Has anyone ever run their machine for 20 hours nonstop. I don’t mean starting and stopping to run lots of parts. I mean, one cut, for 20 hours. Will the Carbide Compact router survive?

I have ran 14 hour jobs but with a Dewalt Router. If possible I would break up your tool paths in to more manageable times so you can get some rest/sleep. Since once you set the zeros they are remembered over power cycles you wont lose your zeros and run as long as you think you can stand and then edit the c2d file and disable the tool paths already run and enable another group of tool paths in a time frame you think you can stand.

I think the router could make it with dust collection but a trim router was never meant to run 20 hours straight. So my advise to split up the job would be a good idea. Then if you get some equipment failure you can just back up some and not lose the whole job.

Be sure you within ear shot of the machine during the run. Bad things can happen when the machine is left unattended.

5 Likes

Yikes! Okay. Good thing to know. Since I will be cutting metal, I doubt that it will light up. The worst tht could happen is the tool will break. I will probably have to break it up.

I thought that you cannot guarontee that you will get back to the same zero after powering down.

You don’t have to power it down. I’ve never had a problem pausing a job for a few hours if I needed to. Just make sure whatever laptop or mini-computer you’re using to run Carbide Motion stays awake too.
Idle power usage is about 50W - I’ve measured this on both my S3XXL & SPROXXL. Never had my stepper motors feel burning or even scalding hot - just quite warmed.
If you do want to power down, then use a nice pointy bit to make a Zero point reference mark with which to verify the zero after a re-initialization against the limit sensors.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.