Recommended ground point

I just bought some anti static dust collection hose that has both carbon impregnated PVC (to dissipate static) and an inner coil that can be grounded. I’m hoping this will resolve my disconnection issues.

My question is, where is a good place on the Shapeoko to run the ground wire to? I’m going to have an alligator clip on one end to attach to the hose and the other end I want permanently connected to ground. I’m thinking on the control board housing

Thanks

I’d use the ground wire from my touch probe which is attached to one of the screws holding the left Y extrusion to the front frame plate.

1 Like

I use the body of my spindle, since it is earthed via its power cable. Similarly, the trim router body itself should be a good grounding point.

In case you hesitate between multiple points, I would advise to grab a multimeter, put it in resistance measurement mode, and pick the attachment point that gives you the lowest number of (milli)Ohms.

2 Likes

Just dont try that with the Dewalt :cloud_with_lightning:

I should clarify: at least my dewalt body is not grounded despite looking like it is made out of metal…

I have the Carbide Compact Router and it’s only got a 2 pronged plug, so no matter what the body is made of I know it’s NOT grounded.I’m sure it’s double insulated so it’s safe, just not grounded.

1 Like

And indeed the dewalt doesnt have a grounded plug either…

I really wish it were grounded because that’s where I wanted to attach the clip for the touch probe

Mmh, interesting. I recall seeing pics of people running a copper wire around the body of their router though. Well another grounding point it is then.

If you are feeling adventurous, you could do this, and then the router body would be a good grounding point

1 Like

Some vacuums which come with such hoses are set up to ground the hose directly through the power ground for the vacuum — if you know that the hose connection isn’t so grounded, and if the dust shoe is otherwise isolated then you can ground anywhere without introducing a ground loop, but check both of those possibilities first.

The vacuum hose running to my machine comes from a Home Depot Dustopper which is all plastic so that’s definitely not grounded and I’m using the SuckIt dust boot, which is also plastic, so I think I should be good to ground. Hopefully that will eliminate my machine disconnections!

You can run a stranded copper wire along the hose to discharge the static electricity buildup. I used a self taping screw at both ends to attach the wire and I connected the wire on the hose to the Z axis plate that holds the limit switch with a separate wire that has an alligator clip at each ends so it can be easily removed when you remove the dust shoe.

My Shapeoko is grounded on the cap screw that holds the cover of the controller. It is connected to a copper water pipe.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.