Reference Tools off of something other than bitsetter?

Running BitSetters on 7 different Shapeokos since they were released, I haven’t had a single incidence of them damaging the tip of a v-bit. All v-bits should have some very slight flat at the tip as a fully sharp tip is a very brittle thing. That initial plunge still doesn’t bottom-out on anything solid, and the slower plunge is there for accuracy.

The only time I’ve run into an issue with a BitSetter being too stiff was on my pre-production HDM. The grease used for assembly froze in sub-20F degree temps in my shop and caused issues. I cleaned it out and used dry-moly and haven’t had an issue since. So if your shop is super cold right now, that may be the solution instead of avoiding use of a really good function of the machine. :slight_smile: Basically, the BitSetter is valuable enough to many workflows (like advanced v-carves) that I would personally do anything to keep that functionality.

1 Like

Sorry, I confused the tread here with my interjection about bit damage. That was not part of the reasoning from the OP.

I will post pictures of the bit before and after. I agree about the bitsetter being an invaluable tool.

I didn’t mention it but I have concerns with using it for my engraving tool. 20 degree .020 ball mill.

Also I prefer a .002” depth of cut on my engravings. Usually anodized aluminum plates and some steel.

When the bit setter trips during a measurement cycle. What / where is that value stored? When you take the tool you just measured and set your zero on the top of the part. Where is that value stored and how is it calculated differently then when the bit setter is disabled?

Thanks everyone for the help

One also used the HDM BitSetter in 0.020" drills with no effect to the drill.

1 Like

Neil,

Re-reading your sequence and looking into the different G10 commands, I don’t see why your sequence wouldn’t work.

1 Like

Me either…
:wink:

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.