Relocate Bitsetter

Hello, Has anyone relocated the bitsetter in the lower right corner of the table?

Mine is in the way of clamping down projects and it restricts the total width of the machine.

I relocated mine to the drawer because it kept getting in the way, and I got tired of taking it off & putting it back.
You can place it anywhere you want, but it still has to be in the machines working envelope to the spindle can reach it.

1 Like

Yes, thanks. It doesn’t come with a longer cable; however, bottom right edge would be better for me.

Curious, what does it do differently than the bit zero. I wonder if I really need to even do this and then gain the extra couple inches.

The BitSetter uses a spring-loaded button (and on the SO5 Pro and I believe HDM, a mechanical switch) so that there is no need to connect a ground lead.

Bitzero is for setting the XYZ position for the router relative to your workpiece.

Bitsetter is for measuring the length of the bit between tool changes so that CM can adjust the Z position to accommodate. Without it you run different files for each toolpath and reset Z after each tool change manually.

2 Likes

Thanks! After I posted the question about the two I googled it. Looks like I need both. Since the connector is at the front of the machine, I am wondering if I can run a wire to the back. I guess I could create my own, but am wondering if anything is already available?

While it’s not a huge relocation. I made a bracket to move mine as forward as possible. This allows me to use all of the 4x4 Cutting area without having to mess with it.

2 Likes

Do you have this file available for sale or download somewhere?

I sent you a message.

Sorry just ordered my first cnc. If you relocate the bitsetter outside the cutting area how can it be of any use? How can it probe a new bit change?

It moved it forward where the center of a bit still touches it.

On sine bits you need to line the flute up with it but you need to do that with larger bits anyway. There is no need for the bit to contact the center of the button. .