Removing a small portion of a design

New to CNCs and Carbide Create. I have a design that I want the router to go into and remove a slot then cut a circle. I cannot figure out how to remove a small portion of a rectangle. Seems like I have tried every Union option without any luck. Any tips would be greatly appreciated…

I
Wine Stand.c2d (108 KB)

If you will extend your slot just passed the edge of your main component a boolean operation
will remove it for you.

2 Likes

Or, extend and use Trim Vectors — for a bit on this see:

If you get stuck, post the file.

In the future, make the slot extend past the edge of the object and use a boolean. For this project, everything appears to be on grid, so just draw a rectangle that includes the circled area and use the boolean remove.

1 Like

I copied the “keyhole” and centered the copy onto the original.
Wine for Forum Added new Keyhold

I then used the arrow keys to raise the keyhole so it sat outside the bigger vector. Basically, I made the rectangle portion longer.
Wine for Forum longer keyhole

Then I used the node editor to erase the circle part of the new keyhole.
Then I used a boolean Union/Weld to make them one piece.

Then I selected the Outisde boundary of the larger Vector and then selected the new keyhole piece and did a boolean subtraction…

Wow. That was the longest way I could have done this.

Wine for Forum

I used Node Edit, grabbed the top 2 nodes (rectangle select) and dragged them up.

Then select the outside vector, then one of the keyholes… subtract. Select the other keyhole… subtract.

2 Likes

That was the first thing I tried, but I noticed that I was not dragging them “straight” up.

Like several suggestions mentioned, I extended the rectangle beyond the frame and was then able to use one of the boolean operations to join them. I want to thank everyone for the tips and for their time looking into this for me - greatly appreciated. I am sure I will be on this forum quite a bit and hope that I can help someone someday.

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.