Resolution when importing an STL in Carbide Create Pro

When importing an STL one gets:

apparently using the defaults — these may be adjusted as noted below.

First, the default Model Resolution is “Standard”:

instead, choose “Very High”

Next, rather than the large stock, we reduce the Stock size to the bare minimum necessary:

Go to Model and delete the existing component and check the size of the STL:

and import:

Done

which previews as:

Ok doing that dramatically improves things, ty.

So say I am importing a 100x100mm stl to cut out 50 times, i’d set the stock size small import the model it looks tidy, but when I increase the stock size to say 1000 x 1000 and all the resolution goes to crap and it adds and removes little jagged features not in the model.

So is this a purely rendering issue or if my model is all funky and jagged in CC would you expect the machine to attempt to cut it all jagged?

in your screen shot above you are getting some weird ridges reminiscent of the base of a tree, again is that a rendering issue or will that be the outcome after cutting?

Thankyou

The STL file will be used to alter the pixel image which is used as the basis for the height/depth map which is used for the 3D model. It is not possible to cut to a greater detail than is shown.

How it will cut is best examined in the 3D Preview in the Toolpaths pane — if you get a file which does not cut to match that preview on a well-maintained machine let us know.

Our recommendation for needing a detailed cut in larger stock is to:

• create the 3D model on the smallest stock size possible using Center for the origin
  • draw up the full-scale file which has circles to indicate where the 3D element is to be cut at
  • clamp up the stock and set origin relative to it as expected — click on “Position” to switch to Machine Position and note those values
  • jog to where each element needs to be cut relative to the center of the circle, set the origin there, and cut the file
  • return to the origin in terms of Machine Position and restore the original origin

repeat those last two steps until all features have been cut.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.