Resonance and noise when jogging

So I thought tonight I’d look more into the (maybe) v-wheel issue I’ve been having and also look a bit into another issue I’ve been noticing; resonance when jogging.

I only notice it when doing rapid movements and it’s particular noticeable when doing diagonal movements:

I’m pretty sure it’s related to the Y-axis, as I’m not able to hear anything when jogging the X-axis (not rapidly but ‘Fast’) but when jogging the Y-axis (‘Fast’) I hear it around the same spot, which is about 2/3 on the Y-axis when seen from the front.

I’ve looked for loose screws etc., but have found nothing that needed tightening. Any pointers on where to look would be appreciated.

Another issue I noticed while looking at the other stuff, is that sometimes the stepper-motor (I assume) on the X-axis is making a lot of noise when moving rapidly. It seems to occur almost every time the Y-axis has moved prior to the X-axis. I’ve not heard it when the machine is moving diagonally. It’s only the first time the X-axis is moved after the Y. The following movements sounds “clean”. Also, it’s not always the same noise that is heard.

I’ve included a couple of clips, that hopefully you’re able to view:
(the sounds are much easier to hear when using headphones instead of speakers)

Any ideas on what’s causing this?

I’ll be writing support with the issues I’ve noticed - I’d just like to get other input before doing also.

One thing I’ve noticed on the Y-axis is that the tension of the two belts not being the same can exacerbate things. Also verify that the belts are in good condition — sometimes after inspecting flipping a belt end-for-end will help things (and if it makes it worse signals that it’s time for new belts).

I get that same resonant hum from time to time. I noticed it right after the assembly of my Shapeoko 4. I swore something was loose. And I spent quite a bit of time rechecking my work. I checked screws, belts, alignment, level, and even my hearing. That intermittently and randomly occurring hum wouldn’t stop. Finally, I put the machine in rapid and did a touch test. Jogged her around and felt for the vibration. Turns out that the y-rail dust shields were the culprit. The dust shields only have screws at either end and can vibrate against the middle of the rail while the machine is moving. There are a few possible solutions, for now I’ll just live with it and groan when it happens. Take a look and see if that helps you.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.