Resume from Job options

I apologize but have searched for hours. Maybe I am missing something but in the database world, there is a transaction log when data is received. Is there a way when the carbide motion is doing a job to output, copy, log, mark the spot, or “what’s left file” of where the job was when any number of interruptions. Or modify/copy the file with a commented line that when you do the new job there is the option of beginning or marker/commented spot to start the job from. I do all my work from my garage and there are many times I need to pause it because I dont want to be running past 10pm and pause with the hope I dont loose the spot the next day to continue the job.

I find it frustrating to start a job after 15 hours of running. I have to go back to the software where I made the output file and create a vector around the stuff that’s leftover and export that for carevco to run.

I my novice head it seems like if it was writing grbl as it was sent that you could compare each file and see where if left off at.

Am I crazy that some programmer hasn’t thought of this or am I just ignorant and its already an option?

No, there isn’t a specific feature.

It can be done, but it requires a bit of manual editing based on analysis and editing of the G-Code:

• note what line the machine is currently sending (or determine where it was by measuring the deepest area correctly cut)
  • pause, then stop the job and shut things down
  • open up the G-Code file in a text editor
  • identify the preamble and copy it — see https://docs.carbide3d.com/software-faq/grbl-g-code-definitions/ for the details of the codes
  • go to the line # noted above
  • scroll up from there until you find a move down from safety height
  • delete everything from the line above that line to the beginning of the file
  • paste in the preamble at the beginning
  • save under a new name

When running long jobs I keep a pad next to computer. Every time I check on progress, about 10 minutes, I write down line number being exucuted.

1 Like

@gdon_2003 @WillAdams , this is very helpful. Is there a way to capture the output or log of what line it’s on to a txt doc or what verbiage would I ask a programmer to capture the output from carbide motion.

Carbide Motion doesn’t have an option for that — might be some other tool would.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.