Resurfacing a large cutting board

I need to resurface a 30x30x2.5 in oak cutting board. I plan on using this bit:

I am wondering about how to go about it. I am not sure how to set it up as a new too to start with.
Once set up, should I just make a large box and a pocket cut in CC, or create some kind of zig-zag pattern all over the board?

Also, any recommendations for speeds and feeds on this bit?

Thanks in advance,
Bob Bevers

1 Like

Hi Bob,

• The simplest would indeed to create a large (but shallow) pocketing operation in CC
  • the rectangle you use as a selection for that pocket toolpath should be slightly larger than the piece you want to surface, so that it overcuts and you reach the corners (add one cutter diameter to width and height and you are covered)
  • for surfacing feeds and speeds I crowdsourced a recommendation from the forum folks a while back, and documented it here as a pointer/starting point.
2 Likes

Thank you Julien! I will give it a shot. Any thoughts on how to set that bit up as a new tool in CC?

Right, I missed that part of the question.

Here’s a tutorial thread from Will on how to do that:

In your case, only the diameter matters, and then input the feeds and speeds above and you should be good to go

1 Like

FYI, The bit looks a lot like a Whiteside 6210 fly cutter. If it is I had emailed Whiteside about F&S and they replied with:

15,000 RPM at 100 ipm is a good starting point.

I surface my spoilboard with the following (mdf)

number vendor model URL name type diameter cornerradius flutelength shaftdiameter angle numflutes stickout coating metric notes machine material plungerate feedrate rpm depth cutpower finishallowance 3dstepover 3dfeedrate 3drpm
601 whiteside 6210 Fly Cutter end 1 0.125 0.125 0 2 3 0.125 0 10 80 16000 0.01 1 20 80 16000
2 Likes

Thank you very much!

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.