Retraction height management question

I’m cutting at the bottom of a pocket and for every position change the cutter withdraws to my 1/4" retraction height above the top of the stock before descending to make the next cut.

This is likely an enhancement request, but it could save some cut time, if the global retraction height could be overridden by a toolpath setting.

Anyone else run into this (or care :smile:)?

There is a workaround, but it may not be worth it for smaller projects.

Move the toolpaths that occur at the bottom of the pocket into a separate file. Have them start at a depth of zero (instead of the pocket depth), and zero off the bottom of the pocket, i.e., treat the bottom of the pocket as the top of the workpiece.

It’s not a perfect solution - it only works if there is only one pocket, and if it is safe to travel from any point in the pocket to any other. So, no ‘U’ shaped pcokets, and no serving trays with multiple compartments, for example.

1 Like

I thought of that too, but as you said, I didn’t think it would be worth the effort, but more likely I’d figure out a way to screw it up. Thanks!

1 Like

The retract is in my mind the most over looked option. I would be afraid if there was an option to change it, it would be forgotten causing a crash. I think it would be a feature for us novice users to mess up quicker.

Good luck

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.