Review my Aluminum Bed Design?

Hey all!

I recently ordered two pieces of 1/2" x 42.5" x 20" (actual: 1/2" x 1080mm x 509mm) ATP 5 to make an aluminum bed for my XXL. I decided to machine it myself because of how expensive some of ones to purchase are. Plus I’m new to this so why not jump right into something huge! I think I have this setup right but would love feedback from the community before I explode an endmill or tear through $175 worth of aluminum.

Here’s the link to the Fusion 360 document: https://a360.co/2VxKaPW

Tiling: To do the tiling I’m taking the lowest two holes that are used to attach the plate to the frame and drilling them through into the wasteboard. When I need to move the piece I’ll use a piece of 1/4" aluminum rod to reposition the stock. After those two holes are drilled in the first setup I’ll probably put the pins in before continuing on.

Clamping holes: I’m going with 2" on center and will manually tap them with 1/4-20 threads.

Finishing: To make sure the bed is square and straight I’m edging all of the outside to take it down to 19.75" x 42".

Chamfer: I wasn’t really sure how much to chamfer the holes or the outside edge. I went with 0.01".

Feed rates: I’m using a DeWalt DWP611. I honestly have no idea here. I tried to pull some information from Winston Moy’s videos, but it conflicted with the Shapeoko Feeds/Speeds chart I found on here. I went with what was listed on the speeds/feeds chart with the exception of the 2D adaptive clearing for the edge. Winston thinks getting 96 in/min can be done, so I figured the outside edge would be a good place to try it.

Tooling plate can be " gummy " to machine, especially at higher RPM’s. You will need some type of cutting lubricant to keep your cutter from loading up.

1 Like

Great tip, thank you. Any suggestions on lubricant? Tap magic? WD 40 silicone lubricant? Something else?

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.