Roughing & Finishing Passes in CC

I’ve been using CC to cut 190mm round picture frames out of wood, and I’m getting some tear out on certain parts of the rings, due I think to grain direction of the wood. Note that I am not cutting the surface of the stock at all, so all questions pertain to achieving a good finish on the verticals.

I’m pretty sure the solution is to do a roughing pass, and then go back through and use a climb cut to get a nicer finish. Can CC do this? I don’t see any options for it. Any way I can trick it into the behavior I need?

While I don’t primarily use CC as it won’t open on my desktop anymore. Early on I did use it. Make an inner circle to run a faster rough pass on that is .02" smaller all the way round than your intended dimension and then run a contour/inner profile on your intended dimension circle. That should give you a better finish, in my experience anyway.

1 Like

Thanks for this, @atrueresistance!

You can also just tell it that the cutter is larger than it actually is.

If you are using a 1/8" cutter (.125") you can tell it that the cutter is .145" in diameter and it will leave .010" stock everywhere. Remember to double the amount of stock you want left behind and add it to the cutter.

1 Like

That’s a great idea, thanks! How much stock do you think I should leave after my roughing pass?

You will have to experiment. I’d start at leaving .020" and see how that works.

1 Like