Round overs again

The way I usually simulate a round over on my projects, is to make an inside and outside offset of the profile. Then I select the two, add a component which is usually an angle, then I subtract my desired depth. As you can see in the attached photo it’s clearly a chamfered edge. If I do the same procedure and use a round component, I end up with a bowl. I can’t use a round over mill on a 3d part otherwise it would just trash it. All I want to do is have a nice consistent rounded edge without learning another software program. Any suggestions?

You seem to be asking several questions. Perhaps semantics??

How to model a roundover? How to cut a roundover? How to simulate a roundover?

The edge in the picture appears to be a cove.

To model a 1/4" roundover on a 3/4" thick workpiece…
Offset the vector inward 1/4" twice.
Use the first offset to build a flat component 3/4" tall.
Use the Original vector and the 2nd offset to build a round component, 90°, scale height: 1/4", Base height: 1/2", And use the “Max” merge type.

To use a 1/4" roundover bit (without bearing) on the machine.
Measure the tip of the tool. Offset your vector outward 1/2 of this diameter.
I like to add just a few thousandths to make sure I’m not cutting with the sharp edge.
So if the tip measures 0.375, take half (0.1875) and add a couple thou (0.190) and offset your vector that far.
Create a contour path, no offset, 0.2475 Max depth (same 0.0025 gap).
Or in the image, “H” minus the couple thou.

To Simulate a roundover, Check out Will’s solution here… Using unsupported tooling in Carbide Create: Roundover / Cove / Radius bits

2 Likes

This only works for flat pieces, how would you do this on a 3d component?

For a 3D component the rounding/chamfering would need to be done in the 3D model and cut as a part of that.

You would have to model it into the shape & cut it with a ball mill.

Draw it up like this

I’m going 0.25 thick with 0.125 radii and 0.050 grooves. (adjust as necessary)
Outside shape offset twice at 0.125. Grooves relieved around screw holes.

Make a Flat, 0.25 height, Add component from the Red vector
Make a Round, 90° Angle, 0.125 Limited height, Max, 0.125 Base Height from the Black vectors
Make a Round, 45° Angle, 0.050 Scaled height, Subtract component from the Green Vectors

2 Likes

2 Likes

That method works well if the entire part is essentially a flat surface. Is there any way to make it follow the peaks and valleys?

No, if you want a rounding to follow a 3D model it will need to be made as part of the 3D model.

1 Like

Do you really need a knife handle to be a 3D part? In your example photo, I don’t see anything that can’t be done with straight or roundover bits.

Thank you! I will figure something out.

How would you run this on your router table?

I believe that a tool such as Alibre Atom3D or Blender would be better suited to making that shape.

Probably it could be done in Carbide Create Pro as well — unfortunately, it’s not really possible to do 3D curves using the free version, and approximating them is rather tedious even for simple shapes:

I’m using the pro version. I will look into that tool, thank you.

I said nothing about a “router table”, but I use Vectric products.

I may be onto something, it’s not a genuine roundover. Instead of making one chamfer, I’ve made multiple.

![IMG_4126|375x500]
(upload://hMCh2iz0ipIDsgo4qHOv5gTgckp.jpeg)

First pass with a 102 endmill, that’s good enough for me! I don’t know why it took me so long to think about using multiple chamfers! Thank you for the advice!

i

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.