Running Carbide Motion on a Rasperry Pi 3 with Win 10 IoT?

Is it possible to run Carbide Motion on a Raspberry Pi 3 if Windows 10 IoT is installed there? I would like to use one with the 7" touch display as a dedicated control panel for my Shapeoko 3.

There has been some work to get Carbide Motion to run in Linux, but I don’t think they’ve compiled it for an RPi.

Linux version: http://carbide3d.com/dl/CarbideMotion.tar.gz — a bit of discussion on it here: Carbide Motion Test/Beta and here: SO3: Will LinuxCNC work?

belike you’d be better served using some opensource comm / control app better suited to an RPi — we list some here: http://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/Communication_/_Control#Raspberry_Pi

Maybe the RPi project is more of a hobby thing rather than a cost thing, but there are 7" Win tablets out there for around $50, and run the Shapeoko wonderfully. Just saying.

1 Like

Do you have any pointers to such tablets? The ones I saw here in Germany where either crap or >150EUR - and you would run into the same issue as with an Raspberry Pi running Windows: Not having an Intel x86/x64 CPU where Carbide Motion is compiled for. Or am I misunderstanding something here?

Here is the Make/model of what I’m running. PS When I need to use Carbide Create, I hook it up to a 21" monitor and keyboard/mouse. Works great.

PS I bought an Open box version $49

Hope this helps

1 Like

Thanks! I will have a look at it and check if it is available here.

So this one could work too you think?

My German sucks, but the 2 requirements are

1. Windows (It has) and

2. a full size USB outlet ( I can’t tell if it is micro or full size. AND I don’t have any experience in the micro to full size adapters (for running the Shapeoko)

Helpful hint, turn OFF the sleep function

R

I use an adapter off the Micro B USB connection on my Toshiba Encore 2 Write 10 which affords a full-sized USB B connection — it also provides a Micro B USB in for power and it works fine for running jobs — I set my wifi connection to metered or put it into Airplane mode so that I don’t have to worry about prompts for rebooting for updates.

1 Like