Sailboat modeled in Fusion360

I wasn’t sure where to post this so here it is. This is a model of a Sunbird sailboat created in Fusion360. I loaded it into Meshcam as a check to see if it would be machineable by some members here that don’t use Fusion. I haven’t gotten around to trying it out, but it appears to be possible. This was more of a favor and a learning experience for me. Hope you find it useful/enjoyable.

Jerry

Here’s the STEP file:

And the STL:

1 Like

Great place to post this, and thank you for sharing!

Looks great, whats next?

Do you need help with anything?

1 Like

Thanks and you are welcome.
As far as what’s next, My goal is to design a folding tactical knife. The handle will be similar to this bottle opener @UnionNine made. Most likely using AUS 8 steel and G10. Maybe all Titanium.
http://community.carbide3d.com/uploads/default/original/2X/1/1f19935db5937e79a4cb92d723a8cbf2686a1b8a.png

What are your thoughts on using 1/16" 4 flute AlTin coated end mills on steel? Any benefit over larger 2 flutes?

Speaking of, here’s some more of those, closer to finished. Still needs some sanding love and different fasteners, but getting there…

Regarding the 2 vs 4 flute question, you’re halving the chip-per-tooth, so you can or may need to increase feed rate to compensate which may get you out of the performance range of a normal Nomad due to stiffness limitations of the machine.

Also, smaller tools are more likely to break, and more finicky on feeds/speeds as their tolerable range of chip-load is much tighter between burnishing and breaking. To counter that though, 4 flute tools are considerably more rigid/stronger than 2 flute tools, so it may not be too big of a trade-off.

The coating is mainly going to make the tool last longer because of the high-heat resistance and hardness it offers.

Be forewarned, Titanium is gummy, and work-hardens, and doesn’t do well with light cuts. Apollo has done a few things with it though and can speak to how to make it work passably with the Nomad :wink:

1 Like

Looks Great! Thanks. I should have specified that I have a Nomad Pro. I didn’t think the rigidity could be an issue with the newer machine, but the spindle torque is rather low. I did upgrade to the 78 watt motor which is a little torquier, but I haven’t really tried any scientific testing. It sounds worth trying anyway. Btw, are you thread milling those fastener holes?

Steel cuts slowly, I will be testing some coated tools next, but focusing on aluminum.
What are you designing the knife in?

Fusion 360 once I learn how the joints and component systems work.

@ApolloCrowe I would love to see what you guys use for adaptive tooling strategies in the 6061 plate with the smaller tools, like the 1/16 flat-end cutters. I’ve broken a few trying to dial it in to prevent gum-up, but not having a ton of luck. I’m using soy cutting oil and one of my prop nuts, but I’m still getting aluminum welded to the cutters.

1 Like

@Jerrylee I am not thread-milling the fastener holes, I just use a manual tap set, because the holes are short, small, and easy to run in and out real quick with a power drill :wink:

1 Like

I too would love to know this. I’ve broken my stock of Dremel bits experimenting. LOL
I’ve used CRC Heavy Duty Silicone spray, baby oil and my new favorite coconut oil. The silicone evaporates and leaves a film on the cutter-how long this lasts is open to debate, but it does help.

The soy-based cuttiung oil works quite nicely for creating smoother cuts in a lot of other materials, and definitely improves things in the aluminum, but short of creating a moat and flood filling the work area it requires continuous application as the chip-to-liquid ratio starts to favor chips and they pile up.

The downside to using any lube instead of just air is that it decreases chip clearing by the prop-nut.

I’m actually currently working on a new version of the prop nut with a shroud that will work more like a turbo-charger turbine, where the goal is to draw air in and compress it, then create a narrow focused jet aimed at the tool rather than just an broad annulus of turbulent down-draft air. Added bonus is that the intake air region with the shroud will be pulling air down around the spindle body, which should help reduce heat build up there too.

We’ll see if that helps keep things moving while dry-cutting, I remain hopeful. Otherwise it’ll really be time to move the Nomad out to the garage/shop, and buy a California Air Tools compressor :wink:

That prop nut sounds like a great idea. Will it be available on Shapeways? I’d order one for sure. Also, I was reading about dry machining steel. Some people report success with coated end mills. I tried using magnets to keep chips from building up to some success, but it’s not really practical.

The current version, which works pretty well for other materials (and shallower cuts in aluminum than I’m trying to tackle currently) is here: http://shpws.me/K1iT

Once I get the fancy new version going I’ll post it for sure, but I’m having a fun time with it since it’s a 2-part assembly (rotor + vent housing).

1 Like

grabcad.com is a great place to stick stuff like this too, and you can do so directly from fusion.

I was gonna post to the Autodesk gallery, but I only see renderings there. I’ll check out Grabcad. The more I learn about Fusion, the better it gets😉

Here is what I used the sailboat that JerryLee designed for me. It is a plaque for my mother in law with the exact model salboat that she and her husband sailed for years. It has her favorite bible verse on it also. I custom made the frame moulding in VCarve Pro and will carve it likely out of maple as soon as I can go buy some more.

Thanks to JerryLee for doing the design. It was his first time using Fusion 360 and he did a wonderful job.

I will post an updated picture when the carving is done. Suggestions for finishes?

2 Likes

That looks great! I’m happy it worked so well. My girlfriend will be really pleased to see it went to such a Godly purpose.can’t wait to see the finished carving.
Jerry

And here is the final carved and finished plaque. It is made out of alder and turned out beautifully. I do believe my mother in law is going to love it. Thanks to Jerry Lee for doing the 3D model to make this possible. You are a great attribute to this site and the CNC world.

1 Like

Very nice Bonch,She will be so happy :slight_smile: