Sand Paper Storage Out of Control So I Fixed It

I recently bought the new 3M sand paper from Taylor Tools. I bought the Extract and got a sample pack of the upscale 3M sample pack for free.

Those yellow sanding pads are very handy for using your existing 5" random orbit pads. They have velcro on them and work well for a quick hand sanding.

I already had a smaller storage container made a long time ago.

However that was too small and I designed and cut out a new bigger storage box. With the longer box I put the sanders on top and the other accessories.

This was just an ad hoc build and make with the table saw and some .5" plywood with .25" dividers. The dividers are not fixed and I can remove some for more capacity in individual compartments.

I just made a quick sketch and cut it out on the fly.

Every once in a while you need to revisit things and I certainly did on this one. Right now it is just clamped together and tomorrow I will glue it and use brads to keep it together while the glue tries.

9 Likes

Here is the finished storage rack with most everything in place. I know it is a lot of sand paper but I go through a good amount of sand paper in a year. I live in the country and when I need something I cannot just run up to the store and get it.

The table the storage rack is sitting on is my sanding station. There are 3 drawers. The top drawer has chisels and cutting instruments. The second drawer has all my other sanding sheets and accessories. The third drawer has my hand planes.

The bench has a torsion box on top of it and is quite handy for having a flat surface. I used poplar trim around the outside with a masonite top. I have a heavy piece of paper on top to protect it from spills which I get regularly. The masonite top is replaceable if needed. It started out life as an assembly table but proved too small for many projects. Things in your shop should evolve over time.

Not shown in the picture is a 4 foot long power strip to plug things into. This is handy for the sanders and for charging up lights and other things around the shop.

In the front of the table is one of those self healing cutting mats. This in invalueable to have when having to cut things. I have a Fiscars exacto knife there that you loop over your fore finger. Handy with the straight edge laying on top of the mat.

Even CNC projects need sanding and now everything is in one spot and handy.

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.