Sanding edges on small pieces

I’m not sure if this is the proper place to post this question, but does anyone know of a very easy way to make the edges of small pieces that say seal, smooth and sanded the most easily?
My belt sander throws it across the room with a twist it, so that’s not very good and my palm Sander or hand sander works, but they’re taxing to use for how many pieces I’m creating .

A shooting board and plane?

A Lie Nielsen #51 is on my short list:

and either a vintage Stanley #52 or a Tico Vogt shooting board:

https://ticovogt.com/?page_id=1605

For the meanwhile I’ve been using:

2 Likes

A disc sander would be ideal.

Otherwise, you could make a jig/table to hold one of your sanders

2 Likes

On small boxes lids and like I use a couple of miniature Veritas tools.

1. Minature shooting board plane

https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/shop/tools/hand-tools/planes/115140-veritas-miniature-shooting-plane-and-board-set?item=05P8230

I also have this miniature shoulder plane. This is very good going around the lip of a box.

Here is a link to Lee Valley Veritas minature planes. Nice stuff.

https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/search#q=miniature%20planes&t=product-search-tab&sort=relevancy&layout=card&numberOfResults=25

To give some scale I took this picture with my hand. Just looking at the picture on the screen of the planes it is hard to get the scale. Just looking at the picture posted by @WillAdams you might think both planes were the same size.

3 Likes

In addition, for intermediate pieces there is:

(I’m just trying to decide if I should get the miniature, or the hand jointer and medium shoulder plane, or go for the full-size option)

I also have a Stanley #93 that is very useful.

2 Likes

What is your definition of small? If 1" or less and not board shaped then there are many tools for the Dremel-style grinders, and lots of sandpaper blocks.

1 Like

Dang some amazing tools!! I’m sanding this

As others have mentioned, I would secure a sander some how, vice? Then take proper care, hold your part and make contact with the sanding surface. Something that small might only need a lite sand, so 300 grit would probably do.

Good luck

Forgot to send a picture to show what I did recently.

Don’t mind the mess, moving stuff from one spot to another, to another,

I use these sanding “puffs” for those types of edges; generally near the minimum RPM. I don’t remember where I got them now, but they come in various grits. They are not too aggressive, and you aren’t likely to cut your fingers on them (if your reflexes are fairly quick! :smiley: )

Seems I’m not the only one to run into this issue!! I really love all your ideas guys. Now I gotta figure out which one is gonna work best for me. Thank you so much.!

I would urge, that when sanding such small pieces thus that you use a pin-vise or similar hand-held clamp such as:

Agree. A good source of techniques for working with the very small is jewellery videos.

For sanding they use a small hand vice and then a file or sandpaper glued to a scrap piece of wood or a dremel.

1 Like

So you want to smooth the just edge/corner?
A chamfer or round-over bit with the appropriate toolpath, would make for less hands on sanding.

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.

For using a roundover tool see: