Screw loose: the tightening

I was lucky to notice this screw wandering around freely, before it ended up in my vacuum.

How many of these are there? Do I need to break everything down and lock tite everything?

That is the grease port for the block, you should not put locktite in there unless you pre-dry it on the screw first, or you will have that floating around in your bearings. I believe they are just an m4 screw, so you can easily replace them if you loose one. This is a great time to put some new oil in the block though.

3 Likes

Interesting. Am I supposed to be putting in oil every so many hours? What oil? Where are all of the ports?

This listing has a decent image showing how they go together. Each block has two, one on each side. You should not try to remove the block from the rail or you risk loosing balls from the block. Hiwin HG Series ZZ Scraper Option Kits Block End Seals | eBay

C3D suggests using Vactra #2 oil, but it’s hard to get in small quantities.

I use this stuff, which is the same weight: https://smile.amazon.com/Super-Lube-52004-Lightweight-Translucent/dp/B00175VGUA

Please see:

and for the round rails and leadscrews:

So there’s two different recommendations for oils there (different machines, same blocks), has C3D settled on Vactra?

There are two different sorts of rails/leadscrews:

• round rails and leadscrews as used on the Nomad 883, 883 Pro, and 3 — that uses the PTFE stuff
  • linear rails as used on the Z-Plus and Pro and Nomad 3 — that gets Vactra

(note that it’s my understanding that the leadscrew on a Z-Plus should not need lubrication)

Hopefully @Luke will chime in and correct if need be, and clarify.

1 Like

I missed the obvious distinction! :rofl:

I’ve got to be honest, I did too. This:

does not mention different lube on the Z rails on Nomdad 3. May be worth updating that.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.