Segmented Wood turning Wedgie Wedges

One of the members of my Woodworking Club turns and we were talking about the Wedgie Sled. The Wedgie Sled is used to cut the parts for a segmented bowl for turning on a lathe. You cut pie shaped pieces and glue rings of them together and then glue the rings together to form a bowl or other object. Then you mount the glued up bowl on the lathe and turn it.

So why am I posting segmented turning on the Shapeoko CNC Forum? Well I created Wedgie Wedges for my fellow club member and cut them on my Shapeoko 3 XXL. I created a tutorial for how to design the Wedgie Wedges in Carbide Create v7. I will post that as a pdf. Additionally I have a v6 project for the Wedgie Sled. The sled consists of the bottom base sled, top of the sled, and fences. I opened the 3 projects in v7 729 and they opened but you may need to recreate the tool paths with v7. My sled is larger than the one that is posted on www.segeasy.com that Jerry Bennett invented. The plans on the site are free and there a a lot of people selling the Wedgie Wedges on the internet.

So if you are also a segmented turner and have not tried the Wedgie system it is far superior to any single fence systems. You make perfect segmented rings with no half ring glue ups, cutting and sanding to get the two halves to line up.

Please send any feed back about the Wedgie Wedges and/or the Wedgie Sled.

wedgie_wedges_CC.pdf (688.9 KB)

ATTENTION ATTENTION I created these in v6 and opened them in v7 and saved. I tried to cut one on my Shapeoko 3XXL and CM would not open the file. Additionally I tried to save them again in v7 and they failed to save. So I need to redesign them in v7. They may or may not work in v7 as they are right now. So beware they may not work. I will update the files in the next few days.

ATTENTION ATTENTION See above.
wedgie_sled_base_bottom_01302021.c2d (285.2 KB)
wedgie_sled_base_top_01312021.c2d (27.8 KB)
This file is made for using Incra 18 inch aluminum miter slides. You will need to change the file if you use a different miter slide. Additionally you want the miter slide about 6 inches from the side next to the blade. On the first use you will trim the jig to fit your saw. My saw is about 5.5 inches from the blade to the miter slot so measure your table saw and adjust as necessary for spacing and hole pattern. You want about 1/2 inch more from the miter slot to the blade so you trim the sled down to your individual saw and make it zero clearance.

wedgie_sled_fences_01302021.c2d (14.0 KB)

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.