Servo and controller upgrade yet?

We are considering an HDM and would like to upgrade it to servos and “better” control. Has anyone done this? yes, I know that it probably voids the warranty, but the mechanicals seems to be very good. it’s almost too bad that it’s not running servos. Just curious. I see the HDM becoming a mini-datron neo.

1 Like

A few people in here use clear paths but you absolutely do need a full electronics over haul to do it. It voids any amount of warranty you have.

I have to search a little more (better). Yes, we would do a new controller. thank you for the response.

I looked into Masso and Clearpath a while back. It’s totally doable and I’d love to see it. Actually didn’t DIYEnginering do something similar a while back?

Not true. C3D would have a hard time voiding motion components and hardware in this case. There would be pushback, but I’m pretty sure the Magnuson Moss warranty act prevents that exact scenario.

After you replace the motors and controller all you’re going to have left is bearing blocks and ball screws.

They would have an east claim to stronger motors causing increased load on components.

Everyone likes to throw that act around but most are disconnected with the reality of warranties.

1 Like

The reality of switching to servos, if done properly is not more power, rather more precision and feedback. I’m not arguing that C3D would likely deny any claims on an upgraded machine, I’m just saying legally, they cannot deny entire warranty based on modifying certain components.

This is the exact reason I wish they would sell a hdm without electronics like avid does.

2 Likes

I would have purchased that instead in a heart beat.

Matt runs Clear path servos on his HDM and hopefully in the near future I will have a set coming along with a Masso g3 touch but the price is not wallet friendly. Just the servos, power supplies, and Masso with the other wiring parts will be around 4k give or take some depending on how crazy you go.

I chose to order a JGL 2.2kw ATC first and fund the servo upgrade later providing my wallet recovers from it’s current beating.

The spindle was $1900 because Uncle Sam wanted import fees and 20 budget iso20 tool holders with collets was a little over $300

This doesn’t include any work holding upgrades that will be needed or tooling so know it’s not an easy or anywhere near cost friendly venture.

Try and find a used HDM or possibly drop 5k on having a machine shop make custom parts and make your own because there are a LOT of design changes that could be implemented that would make a HUGE improvement to the current HDM design.

4 Likes

you mentioned changes and improvements. give me an example/

Let me start by saying the HDM is great for what it is “an affordable heavy duty turn key table top cnc that comes on a pallet ready to go”

These are design changes in my opinion that could make it even better.

Adding accessible lubrication ports for the ball nuts and lower Z axis slider blocks. I am not a fan of simply oiling the ball screw after wiping it clean then running the axis back and forth because the wiper scrapes off 90% if not more of that oil and doesn’t flush any grime that made it’s way into the ball nut out.

Also changing how the X axis is mounted or add some form of bellows or chip guard so chips don’t pile up on the rail causing homing issues.

A similar layout like the 5 pro where the rails and screws on the Y axis are better protected from chip build up and make it so the X axis rails don’t end at a 90 degree corner so chips on the rail get pushed off and fall and cant jamb the axis.

There is also room on the 5 pro for bellows on the X axis. So a beefier version of the 5 Y axis layout with the HDM X beam extrusion and much thicker end plates or flip the HDM X axis endplates and extend the Y axis and bed a few inches to make up for the lost bed area and ship the machine with the Y axis steppers off so it still fits on the pallet.

1 Like

Just to add my input on one small part. I lube the ports on the lower Z bearings by removing the cap screws, using a plastic syringe to push oil up into them, then quickly get the cap screws back on. All with a small plastic pan underneath. Most of it stays up in there since Vactra #2 is fairly sticky.

3 Likes

There seems to be lots of valuable feedback on this forum that should be useful to Carbide 3d for improving the design of their products. Has it, or will it, have any impact?

Granted it happens significantly slower than we would like the products have gotten better with time by a good margin because of Forum input.

If they make experimental parts to implement my suggested changes maybe I can be the tester or at least be able to get my hands on the components.

I bet if they sold chassis part kits they would rake in a lot of sales.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.