Setting up vfd, rpm

I set up my spindle and vfd on my shapeoko xxl so it gathers the spindle speed from the tool data base. What I have noticed is that no matter what my tool data base has in it for rpm, my vfd always reads 24000. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Check you GRBL $30 value. It should be 24000. I think it defaults to something much lower than that (like 255). That value is your spindle max rpm and is what GRBL uses to set the PWM. At a very low value, anything above that will output the full 5 volts which your VFD will translate to 24000 rpm.

I saw a vid for Mike Meyers that shoed how to set the VFD to show the actual RPM of the spindle. Don’t hold me to it but I think it had something about pressing and holding the Shift Button? :thinking:

Thanks, that value is found in settings of carbide motion right?

Yes, you can view it and change it in CM. From the MDI type $$ and hit enter (you need the log open). That will list all the GRBL settings. Check your $30. If it’s anything other than 24000, then from the MDI type $30=24000 and enter. Do $$ again to verify your $30 took. Once that’s set you should be good to go

Tyvm, I will check it out

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.