Setting X Y & Z on Irregular shaped board

I have made a cutting board with a live edge. The board is an irregular shape. I want to carve a monogram into the appx centre of the board with a v-bit. I have a bit setter and am used to setting x y and z on a rectangular board but I don’t know how to set them on an irregular shaped board. any guidance would be much appreciated.

You may have to eyeball the ‘pleasant centre’ and choose that as your XY centre, then use the ‘paper drag’ method to set Z zero there…

2 Likes

do you think I could place the bit setter flat on the board where I think the centre of the board is and using that point set the x and y to zero then set the z using the bit setter

You could take a long straight edge and mark yourself the visual center of the board by going corner-corner on both diagonals, then use eyeball and V bit to set X and Y zero, then stick the bitzero on top of that zero and do a probe for Z only.

I frequently use a V bit and mark or edge finder to do X and Y zero then the bitzero for Z, especially on tool changes.

1 Like

Thanks. I did a test run on scrap. Set the bit zero to where I visualized the center to be. Zeroed out the x and y and then set the z. I used bit 201. When I started the run the machine asked me to install the v bit. Did that and ran the program. Worked perfectly. I did set the start to " center "

4 Likes

You don’t need to use the probe to set zero. Would be pretty easy to set by eye with that V-bit.

I use the center 90 percent of the time for vcarving projects. Since am not cutting through (hopefully) I can recycle jobs without having to do a lot of editing. For instance I have “Made By” file to put on the back of projects. Since it is a vcarve all I have to do is center x&y and set z zero on top of project. If I have to cut out a project all the way through my project is still centered when the through cuts are made.

1 Like

Thanks for the tip. Appreciatee

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.