Setup Help Needed

Ok a little backstory. I am a partner in a 20+ year tech dev company. The beauty is that i have gcoders (2), graphic design and 3d modelers. I can slam a desktop box together in an hour. But thats because ive done it many times before.

A cnc machine? Not so much. Never worked with this hardware before. The pic above shows where I ran into trouble. The assembly manual is geared to a compact router. I bought the VFD spindle. The VFD spindle video assumes youve installed a compact router and the VFD is a replacement.

I have no clue what attaches to what and how the cord is supposed to run between the gantry and the left rail. Help? :slight_smile:

Tia.

Check out this site for the vfd install pdf.

https://my.carbide3d.com/manuals/vfd-spindle-kit/

Hopefully that will help.

1 Like

Also see:

Thanks guys. Definitely appreciate another point of reference. Would be nice if they did a version where the VFD was getting installed on a new machine. In this one you linked to, it assumes the left side assembly is complete. In the manual for the 5 Pro, that step happens after the router et al are installed. So the connection points they call for dont even exist on the machine yet. It’s like assembly buffet style. Not ideal for a first timer lol. Definitely apprwciate your help.

Actually it turned into a pile of sh*t. As with everything with this half assed company, their VFD instruction manual is just as half assed as their QA on Controllers, Wiring Harnesses and everything else they produce in this manner. BIG REGRETS with this machine. I should have just gone with a used Axiom or Laguna. At least then you don’t have to be a programmer (I am one) AND a freaking mechanical engineer.

Look. That manual they created is for someone who has a machine with a spindle already attached. So check this out. I’ve got an empty port for the spindle on the black controller. I have an open port for a 6 pin connection on the VFD controller. There is NOTHING MENTIONED with respect to how to actually connect this damned thing to a new machine. They say to take off the cover of the controller? Great! Which controller and how? What goes into the Spindle port on the black controller?

I’m so close to boxing this piece of garbage up, shipping it back, and charging it back that if it wasn’t Easter Sunday? It would already be at the Fed Ex Depot.

I would suggest sending it back then, great thing is they back the machine and will refund you good luck on your future endeavors! Part of the reason I went with Carbide is Laguna and Axiom will fight you every step of the way on a return.

Yeah it would appear that way. But it got worked out. We’ve been using it for prototyping and are pretty close to buying a 4x2 SP5.

2 Likes