Shapeoko 3 xl losses its place randomly

I am borrowing a what I think is a Shapoeoko 3 xl. The person that is letting me use it got it from his friend thar started Shapeoko as a Kickstarter. Not sure how old it is or how offten it got used. Everything seemed fine. as I was learning anyway. A set screw came out on one of the wheels that drives a belt. I believe I fixed that. but now it keeps losing it place randomly while carving. Not sure if issues are from that? Seems fine. But will NOT carve the right paths.Messes up in different spots every time! I have no clue where to start? Or how’d I find the right parts for this old machine.

Per the machine operating checklist: Machine operating checklist , the basic points of adjustment for a machine are:

• Pulley set screws — verify that these are in-place and secure — for further details on checking them on a Shapeoko 3 see: http://docs.carbide3d.com/shapeoko-faq/shapeoko-3-how-to-check-the-pulley-set-screws/ — be sure to check all axes/pulleys (including Z on machines w/ belt-drive Z-axis, for an HDZ, check both coupler screws).
  • (for the SO3/4, X- and Y-axes) V wheels / eccentric nuts: Tightening Eccentric Nuts - Carbide 3D
  • (for the Pro, and SO4 Z-axis) Lubrication of the linear rails: Getting Started with Carbide Machines
  • (for HDZs, and HDMs, and SO5 Pros) check that couplers between the motor and ball screw are secure, for the SO5 check that the DAC which transfers the rotary motion of the ball screw to linear machine motion is secure on the carriage/gantry
  • Belt tension (see the relevant step in your instruction manual, e.g., Getting Started with Carbide Machines) Note that the X-axis motor is held in place on standoffs and if those bolts are loose this can cause belt tension issues. Also, belt tension for the Y-axis stepper motors needs to be even/equivalent on each side — a significant difference can cause skipping on one side eventually resulting in lost steps on both. Measuring belt tension, squaring and calibration

A good video overview on setup:

Ensure that all screws are in place and secure, esp. on the linear rails on a Pro.

Also verify that all wiring is in good condition and all connectors are secure, and that all wiring leading into connectors are properly in place.

The other consideration is toolpaths and feeds and speeds. What material are you cutting? With what sort of tooling? What specific toolpath setup? At what feeds and speeds?

Also workholding — is the stock securely in place?

1 Like

A picture would help in identifying the machine.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.