Shapeoko 3 XXL assembly observations

I’ve been working on assembling my new XXL, and have noticed a couple of things -

(1) The Y-axis limit switch bracket holes for the (2) 35mm screws is drilled a little small. Even when the powder coating is cleaned out the holes have to be drilled up roughly one drill size to pass the shoulder on the screws.

(2) The X-axis limit switch contacts the belt clip instead of the plate - assuming I’ve assembled it correctly.

(3) The XXL manual contains some errors and ambiguities. It would also help a lot if it were published as a PDF rather than a web page. When printed as a web page the photos are scaled too small to be very useful.

(4) There are no technical drawings with explosions. I understand those are expensive, but the photos of the limit switches, for example aren’t as clear as a decent drawing would be.

At this point in the process, build quality and fit seem excellent for a product in this price range - with the minor exceptions noted above. It’s my opinion that the assembly docs need some work, however.

Thanks,
–jim (audioguy)

1 - unfortunately, this is a consequence of having a range of tolerances for this — if the hole is a bit small, and the powder coating a bit thick, one gets the result you observe — it’s been a while since it was complained of, so I think the contractor is doing better

2 - I had the same issue and swapped things around for better clearance — Shapeoko CNC Router, Rigid, Accurate, Reliable, and Affordable

I also mounted the X-axis limit switch on the other side of the plate – it was hitting the belt anchor, reducing the travel a bit. Used a button head cap screw to keep it from interfering with the drag chain. That was the other reason for the washers.

3 - we’re working on updating / correcting / improving the assembly instructions

4 - The assembly instructions used to be centered around technical drawings: Project Shapeoko with interactive SVGs such as:

http://shapeoko.github.io/Docs/content/tPictures/PS20028-100.svg

Not sure why the change was made to text and photos only.

Thanks, Will.
I’m hoping to have it together, squared and tested by sometime Saturday if not before.

–jim