Shapeoko 3 XXL Initialization fails

Hello Everyone, I’ve been trouble shooting this issue for a few days now and I cannot seem to find a resolution. I have just received and setup the XXL machine and when I try to run the initialization the Z axis stutters up and down quite loudly and I receive the below error message.

Error(3): Homing Cycle Failed
Error(4): GRBL ERROR: Homing Failed, couldn’t find limit switch.

I have tried the following actions without success.

• verified limit switches were wired correctly
  • verified that blue light comes on, on the controller board for each switch when manually pressed
  • disconnected the motor and limit switch wires from the control board and verified they were in the correct location. (according to board labels and wire labels)
  • re-sent calibration information using carbide motion
  • verified Z axis plate is installed correctly (stationary pulley on the left)
  • Verified that the pully set screw is in contact with the flat keyed area of the pulley.
  • set correct tension on the tension wheels
  • set correct tension for z axis belt.

I have captured a log of the activity although I have no idea how to read it. I have also taken a short video of the problem. Not sure if I can upload videos to this forum though as I am brand new.

Any help is greatly appreciated, I’ve been looking forward to using my new Shapeoko!

Does the Z carriage make contact with the switch?
Make sure nothing is impeding it (router cord or something).

It will make contact if I manually move it to the top. When the initialization is running the carriage moves up and down about 5 to 10 mm repeatedly and then throws the error message.

The movement is not impeded by anything as far as I can tell. I can move the carriage manually with very little effort to the top of the z axis.

When you move the carriage up by hand can it close the Z-axis switch?

When you do so, does it light up the Z-axis homing switch light on the controller?

Make sure you’ve sent the machine configuration: https://docs.carbide3d.com/support/carbideupdater/#carbide-motion-v4

There is a basic page on troubleshooting the homing switches at: https://docs.carbide3d.com/software-faq/home-switch-troubleshooting/ ​ There is also a Carbide 3D Answer video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7lOLMAcl_0&feature=youtu.be​

Please check that the switches are plugged in correctly, and work properly — when the machine powers up the homing indicator lights should flicker on/off, then once the controller is booted up you can test the switches by pressing them — the matching light should light while the switch is pressed (closed), and should go off when the switch is released (open). ​​

Please make sure that the machine can mechanically close the appropriate homing switch on an axis before reaching the limit of travel along that axis — if it can’t, it should be possible to adjust a problematic switch’s placement by loosening the hardware in question, pulling it into a better alignment and then tightening it. The machine being out of square can also affect this, squaring up the machine, or more expediently, securing a small block or plate for the homing switches to contact may be necessary.

Check that the pulley on the Z motor is not loose (check the set screw). Also check that the wire connections are not loose.

1 Like

Thank you for the reply Will, I have validated that all switches make good contact when manually moving the carriages. I have also confirmed that the corresponding lights on the control board light up when I press the switches manually. I have double checked that the connections are in the correct place on the control board as well.

I have been through the troubleshooting guide for the switches already, everything that it covers seems to be in order on my machine. I haven’t seen the Carbide 3D Answer video yet so I will give it a try.

I have posted a quick video of what is happening for my machine.
Shapeoko Z axis Carriage shake

Hi Neil, do you mean loose wires at the switches or at the control board? I have reconnected the wires at the control board to ensure they are seated properly and in the correct positions. I also previously checked the set screw, however the hex keys provided didn’t seem to quite fit the screw very well and I couldn’t tighten it any more than it already was.

Sorry, I meant the motor wires.

I will go double check those now.

I posted a quick video of what is happening, have you seen anything like this come across the forum in the past?

Yup. Personally too. Wiring or set screw.

Set screw would make sense to me, but I can’t seem to adjust it any tighter.

I have just rechecked all my connections and they seem to be correct.

I have checked the set screw and it is tight and on the flat section of the pulley wheel. The motor wires are attached to the correct places on the board.

I just turned the machine on again and there was a continuous motor hum. I had to unplug the machine to get it to stop.

Carefully check the wires for damage.

Without hearing it, I’d say that might be normal.

Does the Z motor lock when you power on the machine? Can you move it when applying gentle force?
Don’t force it.

It is pretty much locked down. It would take a bit of force to move it.

1 Like

Any chance you can get a top view video, closer?

Yes, is there something specific I should be trying to capture or do you just want to see a different view?

The motor pulley and belt. V-wheels if you can get them in the same shot.

Here is the link for the v-wheel shot. This is done with the machine off as I couldn’t really get a view with it on. V-Wheel movement Z carriage

This link shows the settings update, the motor hum, and the best I could to show the pulley and belt.
Pulley / Belt / Motor Hum / Settings Update

Power down and check that whole Z motor wire harness. If I remember correctly, there is a connection that occurs in the drag chain…check there for sure.

1 Like

I don’t see any wire connections within the drag chain on the x or y axis.

I noticed another thing after the last test, there were two lights blinking on the control board. I assume they represent an error status of some kind. They are located beside the blue light that remains on when you power on the unit.