Shapeoko 4 Pro Grounding

I bought a grounding plug and grounding cord with wrist strap from Amazon. My thought was to not use the wrist strap and just somehow attach the cord to the XY carriage (or Directly to the Router) to eliminate EMI buildup. The grounding cord does plug directly into the grounding plug nicely if I remove the alligator clip. I figure the router is already grounded to the XY axis through the mount. So i could attach it to the bolt that holds the XY carriage hard stop on the left side of the carriage.
Or Maybe attach it to the ground post under the circuit board cover. Any thoughts

I think I figured it out. I cut the snap connector off of the cable. But that also removed the 1 Megaohm resistor. So I added a 1 Megaohm resistor to the end of the cable. Then put a crimp connector on the end of the cable and attached it to the screw where the Shapeoko circuit board is grounded on the frame. Plugged the other end of the cable into the Universal Ground 3 prong outlet and plugged that into my grounded surge suppressor that the machine in plugged into. Well see if that has any effect in reducing EMI.

Grounding your Shapeoko - CNC Machines / Shapeoko - Carbide 3D Community Site

See if this works for you. It worked for me

1 Like

I thought the recommendation above was a bit overkill for me so i decided to simplify. I haven’t had that much of an issue. Everything I have is powered on one power strip. If this doesn’t eliminate the issue I will move the router to another circuit. I’m taking baby steps here. I already had ferrite cores installed on my machine. This is the first time I have had any issues with disconnects in the year and a half i have had the machine. And it only happened twice when I was doing through cut on extremely hard purple heart wood.

Here’s some photos

First picture shows the ground plug, with attached wire and inline 1 Meg resistor

Second picture shows where the other end of the ground wire is attached to the machine

Yep, piece by piece until you fix your problem is all you need. There’s quite a bit in the video because different people have different problems on their specific machine, grounded spindles vs. electrically noisy routers etc.

The 1M resistor is there mainly to avoid accidentally creating a ground loop, you could take another wire straight off the ground on that plug and use it to test grounding your router or other item. If you have a meter then going round the machine to see which major parts do not have conductivity to ground is a good check. - edit - you have an SO4 Pro so your axes are probably electrically connected well by the linear rail blocks.

Do you run dust extraction? If so this is a frequent cause of this type of problem.

If it’s only happening on really hard woods then, yep, the router could be the source of the noise, you could plug it into a different power outlet, if that doesn’t work maybe an interference suppressor, it’s always easier to deal with noise at the source.

Might also be worth taking a look at the brushes to see if they’re getting worn.

1 Like

Try wiggling the USB plug into the controller, see if that gives you a disconnect.

I already replaced the brushes and that didn’t help. Moving the router to another circuit seemed to correct the issue with several later cuts I tried. Just thought i’de try what i did and see if i can move the router back to the main circuit.

1 Like

I used an ohm meter to check and the Router Body, XY Axis, and Z Axis all have a good electrical connection to ground. You were correct, looks like everything has a good ground connection through the linear rail blocks

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.