Shapeoko 4 Unexpectedly Losing Steps - not apparent why on board

Hello! I run a small business using my Shapeoko 4 XXL where I primarily machine the same object (a turntable for the board game dominion). After a long time troubleshooting the feeds and speeds causing the bit to dig into the wood and lose steps, I have been running a fairly consistent program (20+ times, same zero each time) that has not had these issues. On my latest cut, the router seemed to miss steps in the X direction multiple times, causing the inner pockets (cut after the outer pockets) to be shifted significantly to the right. Does anyone know what could be causing it? Current theories include a dulled bit and belt tension needing to be changed as a result of changing from MN winter to summer. Attached is the photo of what happened:

and what a proper cut looks like:

Thanks!

Check your stepper motor connectors. Jog the machine around while flexing/straining the connectors to see if it stutters/grinds/stops. An intermittently poor connector can be fine for a while & then randomly give you a problem caused by excessive vibration or changes on the strain of the connector. Securing the connectors & protecting them from being pushed around by anything like vac hoses can help. But if it’s bad, then you probably want to contact C3D support for a new wiring harness.

1 Like

I just checked this and it didn’t seem to be causing issues - I also checked that the stepper motor was moving the distance it thought it would, and it was. I also noticed that a less drastic version of the issue appeared in my last cut, so this doesn’t seem to be a one-off occurrence.

What DOC are you doing the pockets with? Perhaps with the bit getting dull the DOC is causing the X-axis to lose steps?

1 Like

I’m running a .25 in DOC on a Yonico 2 flute Compression Bit. I haven’t changed the bit in a while, that could be the culprit. The cut takes about 70 minutes and it’s running at a slower chip load than is recommended for it (due to the machines capabilities). I’d say this one has been used for about 10-15ish runs? And a few times when the dust collection failed and a lot of sawdust piled up.

How would I check if it’s still sharp?

I use the finger/ finger nail method. I feel with my finger and check with a new bit to see if they feel the same. The finger nail method is to drag the cutting edge along the nail to see if it easily grabs, then check with a new bit to do the same.

Cleaning the bit if there is discoloration on it might help. Acetone or similar product.

2 Likes