Shapeoko 4 Z axis issues during homing

Hey all, I have a Shapeoko 4 XL. I have
never had this issue before but today when I turned on the machine and went to initialize the machine the z axis shook/made noises I did not like. It moves fine when I turn machine off and move by hand. The proximity sensor also seems to be working. See videos and photo for reference and please help!

Imgur link for photo/videos

It looks like a faulty connection to the Z stepper motor. Check wiring/connectors from the Z stepper to the controller ?
(also, as usual, get in touch with support@carbide3d.com)

1 Like

Yeah I just sent them an email but sometime forum is quicker. I checked all connections and wiring and everything seems to be fine

Update to this post. I decided to try using mdi to home it with the “$h” command and it worked. I then turned off and did again by pressing “initialize machine” in motion interface and it worked again. So it magically fixed itself but it is a little concerning that that’s the case. Anyone have any ideas what the issue may have been?

Intermittent issues like that make me think it was connector-related. You should inspect them, maybe one wire is a little loose and when the machine moves the connection makes or breaks randomly

2 Likes

Thanks for helping out @Julien I agree that does make the most sense. I rechecked the wires and each connector for any loose connections and everything appears to be intact. As of now I am going to assume everything is fine and if it occurs again I will delve deeper into it.

2 Likes

I’m having the same issue with a brand new machine. The z-axis will decide that up is down and will dive into the project or will not home. We have replaced all of the cabling except for the cabling on the z-motor itself, requiring a new z-motor, but that seems to be the issue. The male connector on the motor wire is a fraction smaller than the rest making for a loose connection to the extension cabling. Really annoying. Support has been good so far, but I’m getting to my wits end. $3,000 for a machine and it ought to work out of the box. I’m on week 2 of troubleshooting. Most of the issues have been wit weak cable connections. My bitsetter cable had to be replaced as well, plus I was missing my v wheels for my y axis assembly. I’m ready to start making projects but wood is too expensive to waste right now due to issues that should happen to a new machine.

Please let us know about the need for a new motor w/ new wiring connection at support@carbide3d.com and we’ll get this taken care of as quickly as we can.

I have left a voice Mail. This will be round 4 trying to deal with this

Hello, I started having the same problem yesterday. I have a new Pro XXL. I found that it was the z connector. In this case, it seems there an occasional internal non-contact in the connector. After reinitializing the machine multiple times with the same result I started looking at the wires. When I pressed together the Z motor connector I heard the motor engage like it does when you turn it on. After that it worked fine.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.