Shapeoko 4 z axis problem

Hi! I am trying to use carbide motion to cut a file from carbide create on my shapeoko 4.

I have been suspicious lately that when I try to make cuts they go deeper than I would expect based on the max depth set in the tool path.

What I just noticed is that in carbide motion, when I press the button “quick actions” → “Plunge to 1 inch above current Z zero,” it is actually going about an inch and a half above the set z zero. The z position when it stops this action says 25.4 mm, which should be equivalent to one inch. I’ve tried jogging it down 1 mm at a time, and after 25 1 mm jogs down, it says it is .4 mm above z zero and visually it is just barely above the surface of my stock. Which is quite confusing as I have measured the total distance as slightly 1.5 inches/4 cm.

I have downloaded the most up to date versions of create/motion and the issue persists.

I have two questions: How can I try to fix this issue with the z axis seeming to not work correctly? Is it related to my observations about cuts being potentially deeper than expected?

I am still pretty new to this so it’s entirely possible I’m just doing something stupid and I’d love to figure out what that is. Thank you!

Which Z-axis does your machine have?

Which have you configured for? Is it possible you have a Z-Plus but chose HDZ?

If you load a tool (or probing pin), jog down until it is just touching the surface of the MDF, set zero there, then jog up 2 inches how much does the machine move?

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.