Shapeoko 5 and VFD spindle control Placement

Curious where folks are putting the VFD Spindle control box. I saw where a few electrical gurus extending the cable and put in under table ( i am considering the but would need help from an electrician i think)

Short of rewiring what are the option on a 4x4? I am getting ready to build my table using Kreg 64x64 base and deciding on over hang. Also thinking maybe an acrylic shield it it has to on top of the table

Thought?

I have mine hung on the bench under the top, right by the exit. A longer cable would definitely be nice, but it’s not a detriment.

2 Likes

I also purchased the VFD and the Kreg table and ended up placing both control boxes on a panel at the rear of the machine. I made my tabletop 66"x66", so the VFD and controller box project a bit beyond the tabletop, which wasn’t my preference, but as already noted, you don’t have a lot of extra cable, so your options are limited. I mounted the VFD box at the left rear and the main control at the right rear and will mount a power strip between the two.

1 Like

While I did lengthen my VFD cable, it would have been perfectly fine without it. I mainly did it because I can, know how and had proper wires on hand. Otherwise I would have just mounted it on the rear left hand side where the cable comes out.

2 Likes

Thank you guys! So think what I am taking away is a shelf under the left side of the table by the cable exit?

I’ve been thinking about this too. I have the kreg table and did 4” overhang all around (72x72”). Still waiting on machine. There was some detailed discussion of extending the VFD cable in this thread starting around post 359/388 - Introducing the Shapeoko 5 Pro - #372 by jakesmakes. Seems very doable. But I also understand not wanting to mess up your expensive new machine right away. I think I want to have everything up front

1 Like

I ended up leaving the controller under the table on the back and just extending the LCD using cat5 cable to above the machine where i can see it. I hooked up the controller to remote controlled outlet and can just switch that off during tool changes, but seeing the LCD keeps me from forgetting to turn it back on lol

3 Likes

Here is a pic

1 Like

1 Like

Was it just standard CAT5? I wouldn’t mind moving mine so I can see that it’s running. Being quiet does have one disadvantage. :smiley:

I don’t think it matters if its cat5/cat5e. I think just any RJ45 cable would do the trick. I’m honestly not sure which specification I used cause I just grabbed one out of a box that happened to be the correct length.

1 Like

I have a few in a box. I’ll check them. Thanks for the suggestion.

Yeah anything RJ45 should do

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.