Shapeoko 5 Pro 4x4 Loud Homing

Our Shapeoko 5 Pro arrived this morning. I just got it fully assembled. I plugged it in, went through the setup procedure in Carbide Motion, and homed the machine and my ears are ringing from the motor noise. I then jogged the motors around at “FAST” speed in Carbide Motion and they were considerably quieter than they were during the homing sequence. I got out a decibel meter and measure the noise levels during homing and it peaked at 95 DB but was mostly hovering between 85 and 90 dB depending on if both X and Y were moving or if just one of them was moving. Next I measure the dB during “FAST” jogging and it was 60-65 DB. A 25-35 dB difference in motor noise when homing verse fast jogging does not seem right to me.

The homing step rate is slow enough that each step pulses through the machine. The machine is rigid from the motor to the coupler to the ballscrew to the linear rails so there’s nothing absorbing those step pulses and you end up hearing it. (The only non-metal part in the whole thing is the plastic spider in the coupler)

The faster jog rate is a more continuous motion because of the higher speed.

1 Like

Yeah this is definitely a harmonic thing. I experimented using G1 commands at various feed rates and at first I was pretty positive that it was something wrong. When X was out in the middle of the work area the sound levels never got about 75 dB. However when X is at the 0 position and Y is feeding at 2000mm/s towards home the sound levels go up to 95 dB which just seems crazy to me. My guess is that with X at 0 the X gantry resonates. If however I lower the feed rate down to 1500mm/s on the same test the dB doesn’t get above 75 db. Do you see any issues with me changing the homing seek speed in GRBL to 1500mm/s? Obviously it will be slower, but I would rather not blow out my ear drums just homing. The chances of me forgetting ear protection when the router is off is really high.

Do you have a sheet of foam underneath the machine? That seems to dampen/deaden this a bit.

Yes. It is sitting on EVA foam floor mats from Harbor Freight.

1 Like

I think you’d be safe changing the homing rates if you want. Just be sure to reset any zero you have after changing the homing settings.

(That said, I wouldn’t change it on my machine)

2 Likes

How do you change the homing speeds??

Enable the MDI under Options in Carbide Motion and see:

1 Like

it says its for belt driven machines. the thread is also fairly dated.
is it fine to use on my SP5Pro?

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.