Shapeoko 5 pro Bitsetter

Hi Tom,
Well I hope you got a better front panel to fix Bitsetter than I did. As soon as i tried the newly acquired Bitzero…POOF!! They say a new front panel to be sent that is tested for both Bitsetter and Bitzero…I woner when?

Just wanted to update my post to say that I received my new front panel (3rd) and both BitSetter and BitZero are playing nice so far. I’ve given it several days of testing with a variety of projects - including some requiring multiple cutter changes and so far so good. Hopefully all will have similar results.

3 Likes

I just received my new BitZero about an hour ago. So far so good. Tested it twice along with the BitSetter. Hopefully now I can get back to the fun of the machine. I will test a few more days, and see where we are. I can say I am happy at the moment!

2 Likes

Another success here - got my new bitzero today and appears to be working nicely along with my bitsetter.

1 Like

I’ve been fallowing this post since i ordered. Unfortunately for me, I too have fallen to the bitsetter/front plate board failing into a puff of smoke. Even though everything that went after 9/30 had the new boards and was fixed. Ordered on 11/20/23, delivered on 11/24/23. Had to sell my Shapeoko Pro before being able to set up the 5 Pro. Finally sold it on 12/23/23. Waited till after Christmas to set up the 5 Pro. Ran into a few problems.

1. Right Y rail has a gouge in it. And it was painted over with a marker.
  2. The inside of the t track on both the right and left Y rails had bare spots with no paint.
  3. 75% of the countersinks on the aluminum extrusions for the hybrid bed had proud heads with the highest head being .085” high. Row 1: 21/24 Row 2: 15/24 Row 3: 17/24 Row 4: 19/24.
  4. The spindle adapter cable came with a broken keeper.
  5. I finally got everything put together, wired up, ran through the new machine and bitsetter setup and the front plate board started smoking and popped, and the green light up C went out.

I emailed support last night with pictures. Hopefully they get back soon. But with the holidays, they are probably a little light with manpower. I was hoping i was gonna be a lucky one and not get the bad board. Oh well, I will wait to hear back.

I bought the 5 Pro and put it together over Thanksgiving. I haven’t had a chance to try it until now. I’m part of the bitsetter issue clan. I have a call in to tech support. I need to circle back and see how to run this thing without for a while.

So i got new front plate board today, installed it. Bit setter is working, tested it out a few times. But my bitzero is dead. must of fried up when the first board went up in smoke.

Looks like I am being but by this issue. Ran for a couple of weeks without enabling/connecting the BitSetter. Ran a couple weeks with just the BitSetter. The first time I attempt to use my BitZero I see the same issues described in this thread.

Funny thing is, after disabling the BitSetter, to go about my work, I was surprised by how non intrusive a workflow without excessive prompts, reminders, and motions to remeasure tool length could be.

Finally received the new control board for my VFD, and my bit zero. Good news, plugged in the new bitzero and nothing started smoking and everything looks and smells good. Bad news, the control board is version 1.2, I have 1.0 that has soldered wires, the 1.2 has a plug for wires. So once again I will be out at least another week before I’m able to even run the machine.

2 Likes

Well, looks like I may be heading down the same path as the rest of you. Brand new S05 and so far no end to the list of issues popping up during the build, all related to parts and poor pre-build quality.

Some of the issues so far are, a stripped bolt on a bearing, missing/falling out locating pins, loose bolts scattered all over, broken wiring at a plug (limit switch), seized spindle holder bolts, bad connector on the back of the front panel and now the GRBL 4 error on initialization.

TBH I bought a machine expecting a modest investment in build time and a few issues to resolve during the process but my issues so far and this thread leaves me wondering if this is ever going to be reliable enough for my intended use. Hopefully this issue is just the front panel… Has anyone had this fixed and had it last for months of use yet?

Can’t even tell you how many problems I’ve had with my pro 5, the latest is the z zero not working properly and the problem is every time they finally respond and ask you questions it’s another day before they get back to you. I will never trust this machine anymore.Thought I did my research

For what it’s worth, everyone is support who looked at the email ticket is fairly certain that this is a workflow problem. (Basically, this Unexpected Z-Axis Plunges )

The BitSetter is a rigid workflow, there’s no way around that. The benefit is that it’s way faster for most users than resetting the Z zero each time you need to change a tool. In fact, one of our most common support problems is that users set the zero the first time they run a job and the don’t set it again for years, so they forget how when they need to in the future.

if you don’t like being told when you can and cannot change a tool, you can disable BitSetter, but that probably only makes sense if you’re running one-tool jobs.

1 Like

What an interesting read of this thread.
It is unfortunate and sucks, this is what I take away.
It is now a known issue. :+1: Awesome.
I am sure it has been difficult for C3D as I assume they are struggling to keep up. What I read here is they are not running from the problem.
I am sure it will just take time to work this through.
I agree it is frustrating and sucks, however at the end of it, I appreciate a company that owns it and does the best they “reasonably” can.

To be fair though, the only problems that I have had is a EMI issue and a couple of others that when the smoke cleared, it was due to my misunderstanding. It took a bit for me to work my kinks out :slight_smile: it is all good now, it was my learning curve :slight_smile:

I echo from above, the great support and sharing of ideas I have gotten from this forum. It also was one of my deciding factors to invest.

The fact is if I compare this to some other equipment and their support , ¡Ay, caramba!. We have all been there. :slight_smile: I personal feel good that I invested in C3D.

As for this issue, smoke is released, so that kind of points to the problem :). I assume there could be a bad batch of components, misassembled, oops in the design. cable gets pinched. IDK, Maybe there is a 1.1 ver. :slight_smile:

Crap happens, at the end of the day I personally like to measure how well the company owns it. :slight_smile:

This is truly unfortunate, I am glad most of you are up and running. Happy Carving

3 Likes

From France, I read your comments and I join you in exposing my BitSetter problem which seems to have impacted no one. I am installing and using this machine for the first time. I am not an expert, neither in computers nor in machine tools: I therefore work scrupulously with the instructions and the videos. I would like to say that my machine configures correctly but I have the famous BitSetter: nothing burns, nothing stays on, the movements of the machine comply with the instructions and no error message is displayed. The only problem: when configuring the BitSetter, I press it with my finger as suggested in the video and the instructions, and the green LED lights up (hooray!) but this action does not appear in the “status input”! (The BitZero works well and the contact with the magnet on the plate is identified by the BitZero and by the “state input”!?) Everything happens as if the contact of the BitSetter button was not transmitted to the central controller and therefore to the PC while it is detected on the LED of the BitSetter box. If I continue with the installation despite everything, the homing is carried out correctly, then the cutter is placed above my BitSetter and descends without ever stopping, crushing the BitSetter. Obviously, the engine stalls and I have to stop the machine manually! For a week I have been in contact with support, helped by my friend ‘Google Translate’ because my English is not very good. I obviously checked and rechecked the contacts, the wires, the procedure… They are still looking, asking me questions to clarify this malfunction. This evening I sent a video of how it works. I have not tried to use the machine without BitSetter. I would like to have a “complete” machine so that I can make it profitable (VCarve in particular). Did you have this problem ? Any ideas ?

To inform those who have the same problem as me: Support assumes a controller card problem… I will keep you informed when I receive the part and test the operation of the machine… to be continued…

4 days and the package arrived!
As soon as I have tested the new central controller I will let you know. The case is delivered poorly protected in the box but I do not observe any deformation… to be continued…

Well… I got the new controller board and front right plate and wiring harness to that plate.

We finally have a machine that will initialize with bitzero!!!

Unfortunately, when using that, it seems to automatically set zero above where it’s initially set. I am trying to cut out something the same as before, but as you can see, the vcarve won’t actually go deep enough…

Usually this problem is caused by a disconnect in how the origin is set in the file and where the zero is set relative to the stock.

See:

https://my.carbide3d.com/gswso/06/

If you still have problems, make a thread here and upload your .c2d file, step-by-step notes on how you are securing your stock and setting zero relative to it and managing all tool changes and a photo showing an attempt at cutting still in place on the machine with the machine at the origin or a specified offset and we’ll work through this with you.

1 Like

After 4 days of waiting, and to end my adventure, I received the new Revision 5 controller box to replace the Revision 3.0.

I no longer have any problems installing the Bitsetter!!!
I will finally be able to explore the capabilities of this machine.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank the Carbide 3D team for their efficiency and speed of responses and decisions.

All the best.

6 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 10 days. New replies are no longer allowed.