Shapeoko 5 Pro enclosure discussion

I like this, especially the cubbies below for storage. Do you have windows/walls for this table?

Super simple setup… I like it. I’m also going to have to consider conserving some of the space in the garage too… having two tables seems like more work on the front end, but allows for that extra space.

I like the nesting idea but I would invariably have junk in the way preventing me from sliding the top table out of the way when I needed it :joy:

Lots have people have suggested folding tables that come down from the wall or even a lift that can raise the CNC up to the ceiling when not in use.

I guess the question is whether you need to be using the CNC and the flat surface simultaneously or if you are just looking to have the workspace available when not using the CNC.

I would not want to be hammering, pulling, pushing on a table that was structurally attached to my CNC while in operation but planning, sanding, storing and assembly would most likely be ok. I also wouldn’t try any finishing while the CNC is cutting due to dust.

No windows or walls, but I do have future plans to make some and put them in place so they’re easily removable and whatnot for cleaning. Here’s a more updated shot where I have finished the drawers that go in those cubbies. Mind the mess, didn’t clean up from the last job yet.

7 Likes

I like that. It wasn’t clear to me from your earlier picture that the whole top lifted off. I would still be concerned about doing things on that top that might jar the machine while in operation but sanding or even using it as the outfeed like you show looks great.

I found this (now old) discussion topic very helpful when I was designing my enclosure. The discussion got named “The Enclosure Zoo”.

1 Like

Given the nature of my shop, I am rarely doing something else while the machine is running, and if I am it’s usually over on my proper workbench. This space is primarily an outfeed table, or assembly. (which I don’t use much because the lid bowed while I was gluing it up so it’s not flat anymore. :frowning: )

That being said, the whole table weighs so much that you’d be hard pressed to jar the machine while doing anything on top while it’s running.

3 Likes

I built much the same enclosure / worktable / outfield table. I didn’t have the floorspace in the garage to not have it do double duty. I had a bunch of plywood from a loft bed that my son outgrew and this was a nice project to use that up. The top hinges up for easier access, and the rear has a couple of matching drawers and a removable panel if I want to tile something longer.

I have a pi touchscreen that is going to get installed in the top center drawer so that the computer is always attached. Also, the dust hose needs some kind of center support.

Over all I am happy with the compromise between ease of access and space usage.

5 Likes

Bonus points if it’s on rollers and the machine slides out :blush:

2 Likes

Very nice! I like this a lot! Tell me about that Pi touch screen though… I’m trying to find a way to avoid stealing one of the family computers to be forever attached to the CNC!

I bought this one back in Jan:

But it and its little 7” brother are showing as unavailable on Amazon now. That too bad. It works really well.

This is a link to the manufacturer page

1 Like

Now wait just a minute… That’s not a bad idea. What if we’re thinking of it wrong the whole time. @CullenS you’re a genius!

The lower section is an enclosure, but rather than being a nesting workbench (with CNC beneath) it’s an expanding workbench…

I mean I guess technically they’re nesting, But they don’t have to be separable, unless you want them to be.

So the CNC table is much like @tadg 's and @TheWoodworker 's tables.

But it can roll out from under a “larger” table in either direction to make room for a 4x8 sheet. You’d have to have some removable blocks/rollers/risers to support the working material, but I’m really starting to like the idea. Tad, I think i’m going to be in the same situation… I can’t afford to not save that space. I don’t have to be working on the workbench while the router is going, but it’s really nice to have that extra space.

I did a little sketch of what this could look like. Pardon my poor attempts at rendering woodgrain with Procreate lol.

I initially drew the machine in backwards, but having it slide both directions allows for a full 4x8 to be worked on without part of it sticking out the side. I think I would also enclose the entire bottom of the table in acrylic so you can see even if the table is collapsed.

however, as my brain keeps working on this, one side of the table not on the expansion axis could be enlarged (permanently) to allow for the dust collection to also be enclosed.

Please, share your thoughts!!! I really like this idea but have no idea how to approach designing and cutting it!

Super bonus points if we can keep it cheap!

3 Likes

Top view of the same table idea, showing expanded area for storage and dust collection.

2 Likes

I have this touchscreen: Amazon.com

I initially tried a 7" screen that I already had but it didn’t have enough resolution. I see that mine is 1280x800 and carbide motion 622 for the PI wants 1280x1024, I’ll need to fire it up and see if anything is cut off.

1 Like

I wanted to wind back to the discussion on clearance for the dust collection. the carbide website shows a footprint of 60 in(X) x 59 in(Y) x 21 in(Z).

*edit - this is for the Shapeoko 5 Pro 4’x4’

For the dust collection hose, how much more clearance would I need?

I’m 74 and 6’-3”, at least I was! Anyway, my CNC Table is 54” tall and on wheels. It’s 68” wide and 62” deep. I drew up plans for an enclosure that had a lift up window on each side, but this this doesn’t make much more noise than my tablesaw, so I haven’t added it yet. Just wearing ear protection for now. This is my first CNC, but I’m very good at CAD with over 30 years experience. I have the 5 Pro 4x4.

1 Like

I haven’t upgraded, still happy with my 3 - but I’ve put it under the table on 500lbs-rated sliding extensions…

12 Likes

I just received my 5 Pro 4x4 and am building my workbench on the fly. I have a Oneida Turbo that when connected to the Sweepy I am not getting any dust. I need to work the noise element, so I may add an enclosure for that. What do you think?

What is the source of your noise? The machine, the dust collector or the sweepy?

I found the Deep Sweepy to be less noisy than the regular given its curved body. I use it unless the clearances don’t permit.

1 Like

The noise I am getting is from the movement of the machine, not the dust collection. Just seems like a high pitch noise when the head moves. This is my first CNC so maybe that is normal, I don’t know.