Shapeoko 5 Pro - How is it with Aluminum vs HDM?

The 48" width I desperately need for some of our aluminum parts, I was hoping that the announcement was a 48" HDM for me. But how well will the tool paths and approaches I use on the HDM translate to a 5 pro? And looks like early December to get one in our hands? Can you give us all details on what to expect, I will order ASAP and sell my Pro XXL if it will do aluminum like the HDM!

2 Likes

Having the SOPro and HDM… my guess is in-between. :slight_smile: The HDZ has a water cooled spindle and is more rigid… so better in aluminum, especially with the 2.2kw spindle. The extrusions on the HDM look beefier… so more rigid. I’m also guessing more under bed extrusions per foot on the HDM as well.

But that’s an educated guess. Hopefully I’ll know in December first hand. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Would be great to see videos of the SOPro 5 in action.

2 Likes

My guess is the HDM is going to do much better with aluminum simply because the smaller size is going to translate into more rigidity assuming the construction is similar. The 2x2 version is not that much bigger so it may compare better.

The role I see the 5 Pro is more like what you might otherwise get an Avid for, but better suited for the hobbyist.

3 Likes

I agree with what you say too, but I would love the Carbide team to share comments, I have some large aluminum parts that would work great “IF IT CAN WORK WELL” otherwise it would sit for wood work. Hopefully they share cut videos and details soon

1 Like

Given my very limited experience with aluminum on the HDM I suspect the Pro5 is going to be more than adequate for most hobbyist tasks simply because it appears to replicate much of what’s in the HDM. So if you want to do aluminum AND wood, it’s probably going to be one of the best hobby machines out there. I keep running into size limitations with my HDM and sometimes wish I had something that would do 4’ widths with pass through. So I think the HDM is going to be the best choice if you primarily want to do aluminum and occassionally do wood while the reverse is going to be true for the Pro 5. I kinda wish they had the option when I got mine, but I really don’t have the space for it so it’s just as well.

2 Likes

I only cut tons of aluminum every day on my HDM and really push it hard but it does great. So hopefully carbide will answer if it’s X% less rigid than an HDM, etc.

2 Likes

I asked, but it doesn’t like we have firm numbers quite yet. I think they are still working on recipes and such, which would give us a good way to quantify performance difference from the two machines.
As Josh (who has a very classy name) mentioned the HDM is more rigid and has a water cooled spindle and I think is more powerful. So if you are doing aluminum all day every day and care about run time from a business perspective the HDM is probably the way to go.
Though realistically both machines look pretty friggin fantastic.

2 Likes

Yeah, the HDM extrusion walls seem like they are at least 1/4" thick. I’ve tapped it with a solid chunk of brass and it didn’t “tink” or “ring” in the slightest. Like if they didn’t say they were hollow, I would think they were solid. Super scientific, I know. :smiley: But seriously they’re BEEFY! The HDM also has stronger stepper motors…something like 2x more torque. And the 2.2kw spindle makes pretty fast drilling a reality.

I hope to have my SO5 in December and then I can say from first hand experience. I will tell you this: I’m sadly selling my SO4 and SOPro to make space for the SO5 as my shop just doesn’t have the room for that many machines and my project car. But the HDM is staying and I’m not letting that one go.

1 Like

Big picture, we’re spindle limited because the SO5 is more than capable of stalling a 1.5kW spindle or a trim router.

I don’t think we’ll be able to reduce the HDM comparison to a single digit like xx% as rigid. Beyond the basic specs like resolution, we plan on describing the performance through real world cutting conditions rather than trying to quantify little part of the machine. I my mind, this is the only way to talk about overall performance because comparing independent specs don’t tell you much.

What’s your preferred speed, feed, and depth of cut? I’ll ask the guys to try it on the SO5 with a VFD spindle.

3 Likes

General question - what are you cutting?

I only ask because any stock material larger than the HDM bed is typically incredibly expensive. Unless you are machining thin stock or sheet aluminium I’m not sure what the use case would be?

The S5 handles aluminium very well as a whole.

Kevin and Winston are working on content made with the first batch of machines.

5 Likes

Luke, trust me lots of big aluminum parts. I am happy to share some proven recipes and part files and even ship you some of the same bits to see if this will work. We need a 2nd machine (if not two) to allow us to continue pushing out products and prototype.

We cut a lot of parts out of 24”x8”x3/8” stock now. If I can go to 48” my production doubles!

FYI: some cnc guys say “but a real machine” but until I get to $60k plus the X&Y areas are too small for us on many parts.

7 Likes

I remember now! Bar stock!

The general decorative pieces would run a dream on the S5 2x4. You’d obviously want want a spindle on it to maximise run time.

The slotted parts - look interesting, I’d think they would run well on a S4. How are they finished?

2 Likes

Winston put together a quick aluminum video on the SO5 Pro:

This toolpath is spindle-limited. The machine can do more, but the spindle starts to bog down.

8 Likes

I really hope that block is held down with more than CA and tape :wink:

Could @wmoy be able to provide the recipe/mrr etc for the above video? Looks approx 1/4" DOC.
Would be nice to see what happens with a 2.2k water cooled.

1 Like

Tool: Carbide 3D 278-Z 1/4" single flute endmill + air blast
RPM: 22000 RPM
Feedrate: 2200 mm/min
Stepover: (Fusion 360 Adaptive Clearing) 1.25mm optimal load
Depth of Cut: 6mm

5 Likes

Looks good to me with a small spindle. I need one!!! Will be selling my SPro XXL ASAP to make room for a SPro5

3 Likes

Very excited about the SO5 Pro!!! Will there be an option to add the HDM 2.2kw spindle?

2 Likes

See:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.