Shapeoko 5 pro initialization woes

When I test the limit switches in the debug screen, they all pass except for an oddity in x–e.g., when I move metal next to the x limit switch to test it, the red LED will go on and off, but in the debug window, the indicator for x comes on but does not go off when I remove the metal. When I do an initialization, it moves to home but fails with a grbl alarm 8 error message, and the x axis light is on in the debug screen. Any suggestions to trouble shoot this issue? Tech support, altho responsive, only responds once every 24 hours which means it will take a long time to resolve that way. We have been going back and forth for several days now with no fix.

Swap the proximity switch to another location and see if the problem follows the switch or stays in the original location. If the problem moves it is the switch. If the problem stays in the original location it is likely a wiring/connection problem.

1 Like

I had pretty much the same issue. My machine gave me the grbl 8 error code. I adjusted the x axis sensor and finally replaced it. Still no luck.

Its now fixed, Carbide sent a new controller (main box) and all is well.

I just had this….new controller fixed it. Five sensors all showed the same.

Did carbide make you jump thru hoops before they replaced the controller?

No. Fleming knew exactly what the problem was. First they sent me 3 new sensor to try, just in case. When those didn’t work, the Controller was in the mail. The thing that let me “trick” it into working was to unplug power and USB to the controller. Let it sit for at least a half hour to hour so the charge is all out of it. Manually put the gantry all the way back and the X all the way to back corner. Immediately connect and setup a new machine. You will know it works because it will test the sensors by moving slightly 3 times in each axis. You will see the red lights come on and you will get to the BitSetter setup screen. That is your key in! Once you are there, it will never use the sensors again. You can load jobs, set zeros and go! If you don’t get the BitSetter location set up, you really can’t do much. But, if you already have it or can get it once, you can start going. Using the MDI control G28.3 will allow you to activate the Jog menu which will give you a Set Zero option.

I’ve learned a lot in the last 3 weeks!