Shapeoko BitSetter (New Product Launch)

Please see:

What is the difference between Grbl_mm_TC.pp and Shapeoko_mm_TC.pp and which one should we be using? I’m assuming it is the Shapeoko one but the other day I was told to download the Grbl one. I see that these are updated so is the Shapeoko mm TC.pp good to use now?

Thanks in advance,

Jim

Not much. The Grbl one adds an M5 at the end.

Doesn’t matter. I don’t know why there is a separate Shapeoko one, but I figured most of you guys used it so I modified it.

That was the first one I modified for testing. I was losing track of versions…that’s why they’re on GitHub now.

JUST updated a few details to keep them in line.

Yes…please provide feedback. I’m just a guy that likes when things work better.

You got it.

4 Likes

Thank you neilferreri, I suppose I don’t need the command to turn off the spindle so I guess I’ll go with the Shapeoko version… thanks again for the explanations.

@neilferreri - So does this now work with “manual” routers? By that I mean, when bit 1 is finished it stops and asks for bit 2. Change the bit and it moves to bitsetter, finishes with bit setter and then pauses to allow me to turn router back on. I know at one point it would move to bitsetter and immediately return to cutting so one had to be there with hand on the switch to turn it on as soon as it finished bit the bitsetter.

@ctdodge Assuming you’re asking about the Vectric Post Processors, yes…they are BitSetter tested.

I finally received my BitSetter today and installed it. It seems to work, I will now have to start a project for a real test.

1 Like

@neilferreri - Neil, does it matter whether I use the inch version or the mm version? I thought I read somewhere that it didn’t matter, the the PP will make the appropriate calculations. I do most of my work in inches, though occasionally I use millimeters

Doesn’t really matter, but it makes sense to use what you’re used to.
It will use the appropriate dimensions, but that will affect your jogging as well.
I use mm for almost everything…If I switched to inches now, I’d have issues crashing when I thought I was jogging my Z down that last mm and end up driving it down 1 inch.

I got my bit setter installed and updated CC and CM. Sat down to use noticed right away added features. So the machine homed and moved to the front center and waited for a bit. After inserting the bit the router proceeded to touch off the bit setter. Since this was my first job I had turned on the router after zeroing z. I dived for the off switch realizing the router was heading to the bit setter. Luckily I got the router shut off and got a microscopic dimple in the button on bit setter. I do like the new workflow with the app asking you to start and shutdown the router.

I get the same; just set it up and was confused to see it move to front center after initialization instead of front right. I’m going to abort this operation/cycle power because I’m not sure if the next move is to jam the tool into some fixturing I have hanging off the front face (looking for a bit setter).

On another note, this is an impressively made piece of kit! (as the Brits like to say). If I can get it to go front right for the tool change, seems like it’ll be a great add on.

Hi Rob - can we get some feedback as to what’s going on w/ the front-center move (post init) vs the front-right that’s relayed in the instructions? thanks

the first front center move is for you to put the right tool in it

it then in 2nd step moves it to the bitsetter to measure

ah… okay, I moved my fixturing to try it out. For anyone wondering, I think the instructions just haven’t followed the latest programming.

So, as someone else reported, after init, the router will move to front-center for the tool change. Then it’ll keep the same Z and move to the bit-setter for the tool length sensing. Would definitely prefer a selectable tool-change zone, because I often have fixturing on the front side of the machine. Fixturing might be anywhere, so would like to be able to select the zone for tool changing.

PLEASE DO NOT CHANGE THIS until there is a TRUE FIX TO THE SOFTWARE. Going to the center is fine, if you use the outer 6 rapid spots with HDZ and ears, you crash… Going to front, then to the bitsetter is fine!!!

1 Like

thanks fenrus - figured that out - documentation just needs updating is all.

I think this thing will be awesome. time will tell.

aha, they probably caught this and the documentation just didn’t get updated.

I revise my request: would you please make it selectable (tool change zone) and include a double-check for HDZ users to disallow crash zones.

hi fenrus - what do you use for a dust boot?

edit: on 2nd thought, I’ll move this question to a PM or another thread…

Well, after initialization, I think the gantry/spindle should remain at home so we can place the workpiece. When we load a file, it should say something like do you want to install tool? if ready you say yes and the process starts. I don’t want the gantry to move in my workspace before I’m ready. I have not loaded a file yet, I’m just turning on the machine and want to get things ready, I want the gantry away in the corner for preparing my material. I don’t want to load a tool yet.

that is a very good point… hadn’t gotten there yet.