Shapeoko cutting sheet metal enclosure

Quick question. I have a rackmount server case (specifically the Rosewill RSV-Z2600) and I’m looking to machine some additional vent slots in the top of the enclosure. I’ve seen some limited resources on cutting sheet metal on the Shapeoko, as well as the official PDF for steel cutting, but I was wondering more specifically if anyone had any suggestions on speeds and fees as well as the best end mill. I do have an air jet setup on my Shapeoko XXL, so I can definitely use that, and I have a few options for end mills currently (including the 102z, 201, 202, etc.).

The case seems to be standard thin gauge galvanized sheet metal (about .045" thick) and I’d be cutting in the top of the enclosure, which is removable. Any input would be greatly appreciated, hopefully I can avoid breaking some end mills with some of your advice!

As is often the case, “there is a video from @wmoy for that”: check out the MaterialMonday vids, there’s one about machining tool steel on a Nomad, and another one about machining stainless steel on a Shapeoko, to get you started:

2 Likes

Thanks for the heads up, the MaterialMonday videos are my go to for most feeds and speeds. I’ve watched the stainless one, but that’s a little different material obviously. I must have missed the steel one, I’m watching it now. That should be a good direction. Thanks!

1 Like

I used to work for Oracle and have installed thousands of server cabinets. In server rooms the bottom is open and most computer rooms have air conditioning under the floor under positive pressure with the floor tiles removed or vented ones. If you server rack is going to be installed in a residential environment without the under floor air you may need to add some fans to get more air flow into the cabinets. From experience Intel processors run very hot and just passive air may not be enough. There are several fans available on amazon that use multi volt fans. I have seen many server rack that are basically easy bake ovens.

This is an example: https://www.amazon.com/GDSTIME-Cooling-120mm-38mm-Bearing/dp/B07H8W376G/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=220+vac+muffin+fan&qid=1616560897&sr=8-4

You may need to add multiple fans and since they are multi voltage you can use the internal power strip to power them.

If your rack is in a computer room environment you may not need to add the fans because of the positive pressure from under floor air conditioning.

1 Like

I definitely understand what you’re saying. In this instance, I’m actually repurposing the server case to hold an eGPU. The way that the video card mounts in the enclosure causes the video card fans to be within a fraction of an inch from the top of the case. So, I want to cut some additional vents to allow that to exhaust out of the top of the case, similar to how the PSU in the case is vented.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.