Shapeoko Freezing Mid-pProject

Yes, the added load due to a lack of lubrication could increase EMI.

Let us know about this at support@carbide3d.com — the bearings are supposed to be sealed and not need lubrication.

1 Like

It wouldn’t need lubrication even after a few hundred hours of running? I’ve probably run it for 115-hours just working on this project alone, plus however many hours I’ve run it since I got the machine at the end of 2019. I’d almost expect to have to re-lube it occasionally

Usually the bearings have to be replaced (they’re the same as for the Makita RT0701/0700).

1 Like

Lubing bearings is a temporary fix. During the “Screaming” the bearings were damaged. I bought a used Shapeoko 3 XL with a C3D router. The router had hardly been used but the bottom bearing allowed the router shaft to wobble. I bought a new Makita 701 and never looked back. The C3D router is a clone of the Makita. So which router do you think is made better, the original or the copy.

I have a Shapeoko 3 XXL with a Dewalt 611. This router has never given me any trouble after thousands of hours of running. The Dewalt 611 has a longer body than the Makita/C3D so if you have a Z-Plus you get more cutting depth over the Makita/C3D. When the Z-Plus first came out a lot of Shapeoko 3 users complained that they could not get their router bits to touch the spoil board. Many had to add a supplemental spoil board. The adding of a supplemental spoil board has a lot of benefits but the main one was the Z-Plus could reach the spoil board to cut out a whole project.

The Makita/C3D router is a 66MM body and the Dewalt 611 is a 69MM body. I think on t he newer machines you get a 66MM router mount but on older Shapeoko 3 you get a 69MM mount with an adapter for the 66MM routers. C3D does offer 69MM mounts for the Shapeoko 4, Pro machines.

The Makita/C3D routers have a slightly slower speed minimum than the Dewalt 611 router.

2 Likes

I’ve had a dewalt 611 for many years and it’s still going strong. I use it all the time with the fixed base or the plunge base depending on my needs. I thought about swapping the C3D with my Dewalt but I like having my Dewalt available (I also have a Bosch 1617 for beefier projects).

Looks like the replacement bearing for the makita/C3d is only about $5 but I may consider getting another dewalt if I start to hear the screeching again!

@StuffSethMakes, I had a similar problem her for the first time with a Shapeoko Pro today. I have had it since December last year. I used the McFly cutter on a MDF plate. Dray air, very static which could have been the reason. The machine stopped after a few minutes for several attempts. I had two symptoms. First the BitZero didn’t have a green light. It was first a wobble contact and then after unplugging and plugging it, it still didn’t work. I also have a BitRunner v1 which lately has started with quite a lot of crackling in the Relay when set to fix ON state. In the last abrupt stop the shapeoko stopped responding. That is, I was able to connect (initialize) the machine with Carbid Motion, USB controller was alive, but the main controller reported busy to Carbid Motion an zero response on the machine. I managed to download the 1.1F firmware again and then the machine was back to normal, thankfully. I have previously looked into the main controller board to understand the pinout of the PWM connector and discovered that two pins are going directly from the bit runner to the GRBL controller without any protection (serial resistors). A high voltage on any of these pins will be feed through internal ESD protection diodes in the GRBL controller and to the 5V power supply which is already on the limit from what I have read. In short, if you have a Bitrunner, try to disconnect the BitRunner, maybe also the BitZero. Mine actually seems to be working again for some strange reason. As a possible cause on that side, I don’t know if the Probe signal is using an interrupt pin, but if that is the case, a wobble contact with a burst of interrupts on the probe signal from the BitZero may perhaps result in a stack overflow and a stop for the GRBL controller. Just speculation. Never the less, disconnecting both seemed to cure the problem. I ordered BitRunner V2 now… BiTRUNNER V2 - Install and Run - YouTube

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.