Shapeoko Pendant

Not sure if this is the right place for this post … but here’s some pictures of my weekend project.

I’ve build a wireless pendant to control my Shapeoko. The pendant connects to the computer as a Bluetooth keyboard. The unit has a built in battery and a USB charging port.

The pendant has a joystick to move in the X and Y axes. There is also a D-pad that allows the Z axis to be moved up and down and the speeds to be toggled between 1mm and Fast.

21 Likes

Could you share your electronics for this?

That looks super handy - also curious about the electronics.

But also the case files as well.

The electronics are an Adafruit HUZZAH32 ESP32 Feather Board topped with a Adafruit Joy FeatherWing with a 3.7v 1200mAh Lithium Ion Polymer Battery sanwidged in between.

I’ll make the models and firmware available to anyone interested

9 Likes

This is neatly done.

I’m interested to see your code if it’s not too much of a hassle.

Below is a link to the GitHub repository with the source code. This is still a work in progress.
I’ll also add the files for the 3D printed parts to the repository.

7 Likes

I’ve updated the handle to make the pendant more ergonomic to hold. Updates are in the GIT repository.

5 Likes

Oh this is awesome! I’m curious, when using something like this, can you move the X and Y simultaneously or are you still limited to one axis at a time like I am at the keyboard?

This device has the same limitations as a keyboard.

You can use a game controller to control carbide motion, but I’ve not tried and don’t know if it would have the same limitations.

When I started this project I was going to make the pendant emulate a game controller, but couldn’t figure out the button mapping that carbide motion required.

If I’m reading the code right, the “arrow keys” operate “Z” for the up and down arrows and Speed increment/decrement for Right and left arrows…correct?

Do you ever fat-finger the speed control when you’re lowering the “Z”? That would be something I’d be capable of :frowning:

Does the controller allow input from something like a wheel or 4-button selector that could be located on the side of the handle to allow direct selection of 1-4? [EDIT] The reason I ask is that I’m trying to avoid having to look at the PC screen while changing speeds. The use of 1-4 makes it possible, whereas, increment/decrement forces me to see what number I currently have selected.

The stick emulates the cursor keys and the up/down keys on the pendant emulate page up and page down.

The pendant supports 3 speeds … + for fast speed and - will toggle between 1mm and the one below it. I’ve not fat fingered the speed control.

It is possible using the same SOC (ESP32) to build something with more keys. The adafruit featherwing was just very coinvent.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.